Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Boots for Colarado Elk Hunt >

Boots for Colarado Elk Hunt

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Boots for Colarado Elk Hunt

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Boots for Colarado Elk Hunt

Hi Fella's

This September i'm going to The Holy Cross Wilderness Region , Bowhunting for Elk . This is the first time i have ever been Elk hunting or Bowhunting and i have prepared nearly everything that i need apart from boots and waterproof camo .. I have been practicing the Mouth calls , keeping a steady level of fitness and collecting other kit needed .
I have about $150 to spend on boots and will get waterproof camo when i get their , which boots should i be looking at ? . I'm Going in the Rut time september 20th .
I looked on Cabela's site but just confused by the volume of footwear available , Danner Jackel , Browning outland fieldtex , Cabela's speed hunters , Danner TFX 6" hunterlight , lacrosse uninsulated broadside to name a few . What should i be looking for insulated , uninsulated , how much insulation , Goretex , 6" , 8" high max i think . . . . $150 , thats my max fella's .
Please advise me , as boots can make or break a hunt or hike .
Old 07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Boots for Colarado Elk Hunt

i elk hunt as well and boots is one my last concern as long as there comfertable waterproof im set
Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

This post should get quite a few replies. I'll just give you my two cents. I am a backpack hunter and usually hunt for elk in Idaho. Some real rugged "up and down" territory that will shred your feet if you don't have the right equipment.

My "go-to" all purpose, favorite boot is made by Merrell. www.merrellboot.com I have a pair similar to the Phazer Peak model. They are light, waterproof and have incredible ankle support, which is essential. The most important item is sock liners. Get some lightweight, polypropylene liners and wear them underneath a mid-weight wool sock. You'll never get a blister with that setup.

Remember, you can have the best boot money can buy, but you'd better break em in for about a month or two before your hunt. Anything less, and you can count on peeling skin off your feet by the handful, which can ruin your hunt.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have always gone the "whatever is on sale route" when it comes to hunting boots. Sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. Last year I bought a pair of the Danner Pronghorns. Best feeling pair of boots I have ever worn. I could quail hunt the Red River bottomland with them. Elk hunting is work. But in a full day of hunting at over 10k feet, I do good to cover 5 miles in hunting mode. Quail hunting as a youth with my dad, we might cover 25 miles, and it would be up and down and fast walking. So when I say the Danners would hold up to that, I am paying my ultimate compliment.
And as to your parameters, got mine on sale for 149.95!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Sep. in Co is still quite warm, 60 or even 70 degrees although it does get cooler at nite. I use a pair of uninsulated Cabela's mountain hunters but any good brand is fine Kangaroo leather is very good. Don't think just because you are hunting elk thats its climbing all the time, most places its sloping hills and climbing over downed timber. Oh yes gore-tex is a given.
Redclub
Old 07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Danner makes a boot/sneaker, pretty slick, I already have some uninsulated danners, and some 400gr either of those I use.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are lots of good brands, I own Mendle and Vasque. Personally I have two pair: one noninsulated and one insulated. But if I had to have only one pair, they would probably have 200-400 grm thinsulate, no more. You will wish for nonisulated boots more often than insulated in September. Good sock liners and good socks are a must. I like a boot that is 7-8 inches tall, no more.

And I would have to dissagree about boots being down on the list. I have had cold wet blistered feet, and they make you miserable. Having a comfortable, dry foot is near the top of my list for an elk hunt. Keep your tooties happy and you will cover a lot more ground, which is important for where you are going.

Here is a good deal on a boot that I own and like. Slightly over your price, but if they have your size, I would buy them! http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat601927&id=0005469810124a&navCount=4&amp ;podId=0005469810124&parentId=cat601927&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS &rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat6019 27&hasJS=true

And here is a good deal on Danners and there is a lot more selection. I have heard they are very comfortable, but won't stand up to years of abuse like brands like Medle will; http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true

Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Fella's and Thanks Tx , but they do not have my size in the Danali. I will look into the Danner as they were one of my choices and other danali or meindl boots . Any other helpful hints and tips are greatly accepted . I will keep y'all posted .
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Bailsuk,

I will be elk hunting for the first time this year also. (Pagoa Springs CO)I have given alot of thought to footwear and I am thinking of bringing two pair. One pair insulated 6-8inch hiking boot and one pair of uninsulated lightweight hiking shoe/boot. Weather dictates which one I will use. I am saving nickel and dimes for this trip and though on a budget, to me footwear is going to be an essential part of the trip. Good luck.

Scott
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Do yourself a favor and try out the new Vasque Zephyr GTX. Just got a pair yesterday for this year's elk hunt.They are probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn out of the box.

Quick Reply: Boots for Colarado Elk Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.