Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lets Stop "A Slow Hit Is Better Than A Fast Miss" >

Lets Stop "A Slow Hit Is Better Than A Fast Miss"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:31 AM

Default Lets Stop "A Slow Hit Is Better Than A Fast Miss"

I hate that saying, "A slow hit is better than a fast miss". [:@]

I've been getting my X Force dialed in and although it has a 6'' brace height, and the arrows are going 311 fps, it's the best shooting bow I've owned.

What about fixed broadheads? I have same POI with Slick Trick standards as field tips @ 30 yards.

If you pick the right bow, fletching, broadhead, and tune the combination, you can have fast and accurate.

The group I've picturedis at 60 yards. I've owned the bow about 2 weeks, only shot a few groups with it at 60 yards.

The fastest bow I've owned is also the most accurate.

Anyone else shoot fast and accurate? Let's hear it so we can stop that annoying phrase. [8D][/align]

Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets Stop "A Slow Hit Is Better Than A Fast Miss"

ORIGINAL: im ocd

I hate that saying, "A slow hit is better than a fast miss". [:@]

I've been getting my X Force dialed in and although it has a 6'' brace height, and the arrows are going 311 fps, it's the best shooting bow I've owned.

What about fixed broadheads? I have same POI with Slick Trick standards as field tips @ 30 yards.

If you pick the right bow, fletching, broadhead, and tune the combination, you can have fast and accurate.

The group I've picturedis at 60 yards. I've owned the bow about 2 weeks, only shot a few groups with it at 60 yards.

The fastest bow I've owned is also the most accurate.

Anyone else shoot fast and accurate? Let's hear it so we can stop that annoying phrase. [8D]

I just picked up a Katera and was shooting over 310fps with a 429gr. arrow at the shop. Haven't shot past 30 but it has a 6" brace height and is the best shootin bow I have shot to date. I am trying to get out this Saturday to sight it out to 50 yards and hope I can just shoot half as good as the bow is capable of
Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

You should turn pro. That group will win EVERY 3D shoot you will ever enter in ANY class.....especially if it tightens up as you move closer.

That being said......I won shoots this year with a bow shooting 330fps and with one shooting 278fps. I don't "think" I was more accurate with one over the other.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I think fast and accurate is the way to go!!! Too bad I can't afford it just yet, lol. Next year I hope to be shooting a Martin, b/c they're fast and affordable......
The speed offered by bows that shoot fast gives a particular advantage to someone who hunts shorter shots, like myself in NJ. My longest shot opportunity is usually about 20 yards. So having a bow that shoots really fast could take away almost ALL of the guess work for distancing a deer where I hunt.

...one day......
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Awsome group. I shot at 50 yards a few times last year and it is hard. I cant hold a group in the vitals of my target yet. But my bow is only sooting 200 something fps. I shoot fine from 30 on in.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You should turn pro. That group will win EVERY 3D shoot you will ever enter in ANY class.....especially if it tightens up as you move closer.
You are leaving out to many equations... Such as unknown yardage, unmarked scoring rings (can't see them from shooting distance) and the choke factor.

To answer the threads question....

I have shot 20 up on a 30 target course (11,10,8,5, scoring)shooting 320 fps. I'd say that is pretty good [8D]
Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 AM

I have heard many times on this site and others something along the lines of "I don't like that much speed for hunting" or something similar. Now I can understand not wanting a super heavy draw that would not be useful for hunting but I don't understand why a faster bow if comfortable in all hunting positions is not "hunting" desireable.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

You are leaving out to many equations... Such as unknown yardage, unmarked scoring rings (can't see them from shooting distance) and the choke factor.
Conceded. But you gotta admit.....if you can throw up 60yd consistency like that.....you're a leg up on the crowd.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to shoot things.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Uhhh... No. ANY hit is better than a miss, and not just everyone has the tuning and/or shooting ability to handle a buttload of speed, so it's true. You can just buck up and deal with it, because I've had to put up with this idiotic "I can do it so everyone else needs to do it my way" nonsense from speed freaks FOR YEARS.

... I don't understand why a faster bow if comfortable in all hunting positions is not "hunting" desireable.
Besides what I already mentioned about not everyone having the capabilities needed to handle high speeds...

The faster the arrow is flying, the more perfect the broadhead needs to be. Frankly, most broadheads simply are not up to the challenge of go-fast bows. They have to be mounted perfectly true to the shaft. And you have to go way up the price scale to get carbon arrows that'll handle broadheads at speeds in excess of 300 fps, and even then it's hard to get the broadhead mounted perfectly true to the shaft, because the shafts themselves aren't perfectly true.

Putting together ultra speedy hunting rigs not an endeavor for the faint of heart... or thin of wallet.

Quick Reply: Lets Stop "A Slow Hit Is Better Than A Fast Miss"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.