Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Important reading >

Important reading

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Important reading

Old 03-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Important reading

Check out this post guys
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12622

Old 03-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Important reading

I will never understand why hunting with a cross bow offends so many people. Rifleman can stand 500 yards or more from their game and drop it with no problem and no one blinks an eye including myself. Yet if you take the same animal from 30 yards with a cross bow you somehow have an un-fair advantage. I just don’t get it.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

I’m not done,

As far as the PETA stools I could care or less what reasoning they use in any of their comments. Their words fall on def ears in my book.

As for the compound bow hunters that are actively trying to get rid of cross bows I would ask this. What exactly are they trying to accomplish. Possibly to eliminate competition in the fields. More food for them I suppose. However, if they get their wish what they will eliminate is the elderly hunter that has enjoyed this sport for years but can no longer draw a bow. By doing so you may just eliminate the elderly man that taught you to shoot your compound.

What a shame.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I know this has been hashed over and over but the more we talk about it the better off we are I think. Not to generate dislike but to gain knowledge (ie:the pope and young deal in the article) about who our opponents are (not enemies). To keep this in our minds so that we can be carefull how we talk and act (maybe we can convert someone by letting them shoot our xbows). To think about other ways to educate others.
Much of it may be the manufacturers that are loosing market share to xbows. In the individual I think it is ignorance (in the polite sense) and the "I'm better than you" thing. I think it is truly amazing that an organization like Pope and Young is against xbows. As we have all read and said its all too short sighted. I think that all bow manufacturers should get on the band wagon and get making xbows and we would all be happy. Xbows are the way of the future. Gun manufacturers have seen this already. They know that most people these days have less time and want better equipment to harvest game so in the short time available. Otherwise we would all be using 30-30s and taking weeks to harvest game. Now a days we have equipment that allows for easy 300 yard kills on any moose or elk that allows for shorter hunts by having more power, accuracy, ease of carrying to allow for accurate shot and on and on.
Yeah this subjet is repetative but the moment an individual thinks its boring that individual is neutral in the battle for the xbow.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Green Pea

I’m not done,

As far as the PETA stools I could care or less what reasoning they use in any of their comments. Their words fall on def ears in my book.

What a shame.
As for PETA, how about the fact that they are going for people that fish? They know nothing about game management. They are the most selfish organization I am aware of. They lobby for what they want not what is good for the game that they think they are protecting. They do what they do for themselves first rather than for the animals they think they are proctecting. Too bady they couldn't take a walk with me on year in Wyoming in the 90s after the peak population of deer and antelope. During the peak we were hunting about an hour away from our motel. We counted no less than 60 mule deer/antelope road kills per day. The following year you would encounter few living deer/antelope and thousands of bones from the winter kill (death via starvation etc). That year I was depressed at the lack of game, the thought of animals starving to death and the waste.
I get long winded don't I???
Old 03-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I’m not done,

Your kill me Green Pea. You are a good guy, too bad we will probably never meet.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:55 PM

I will never understand why hunting with a cross bow offends so many people. Rifleman can stand 500 yards or more from their game and drop it with no problem and no one blinks an eye including myself. Yet if you take the same animal from 30 yards with a cross bow you somehow have an un-fair advantage. I just don’t get it.
This is what I always hash over and just can't understand it. You said it perfectly!! I think everyone is getting upset because for the longest time it was just a problem isolated to Ohio and Arkansas and was small enough to just brush off and dismiss. Now that other states are getting on board I think it is to the point where it is starting to cut into their profits (the bow makers) they are going to start fighting hard. I would bet money that some of the bow makers are donating money to some of the groups like peta to stop the spread of us!!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

Money drives everything. It’s sad but true. The outdoors are for everyone to enjoy and for both young and older people hunting is a way to enjoy it. If you eliminate the cross bow from the sport, you eliminate people that could otherwise be out doing what the like to do.

It drives me nuts when people stick their nose in others business and force their views on them. If you have a problem with cross bows, don’t buy one.

It blows me away that to hear someone state that because they are so accurate it gives the hunter an un-fair advantage. To me the fact that they are accurate is what makes it a more humane tool to use. We use sights and balancers on compounds to help aid in accuracy for that very reason. Why would anyone discredit a weapon that encompasses the best of both worlds?

Common sense it seems is a word of the past.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

[/quote]
Your kill me Green Pea. You are a good guy, too bad we will probably never meet.
[/quote]

Hey DNK,

It ain’t over yet. You never know when our paths will cross. I know that Hotburn 76 lives in Findlay OH. Where do you live Pilgrim? Maybe someday we could all meet at my house that way it’s convenient for everyone.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Grean Pea, that would be awsome but I live in Toronto and I own and run my own buisness with 4 employees. During hunting season we are crazy buisy but ya never know. Lets keep it on the burner. I'm 53 this year so I have a few years in me for good things. Yeah a Canuk!! I'll bring the beer and the ice cubes, maybe a beaver or two. LOL