Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Persistence pays off... >

Persistence pays off...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Persistence pays off...

Old 11-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Persistence pays off...

I set up a new stand last night in a finger of woods that jutted out intosome cut corn not too far off one of the corners of the field. About five o'clock, I had a yearling doe come out and feed out to about seventy yards away. After watching her for nearly fifteen minutes and determining she was alone (I figure she may have been too young to go into estrous this year), I coaxed her over with my True Talker. The freezer really needs some filling right now, and she would be plenty tender.

She finally offered a very slight quartering-away shot at about 25 yards, and I gently touched off the release. At impact, I heard a loud crack and watched her run forward and circle out into the middle of the field about 75 yards away. She stopped and seemed to gather her senses before hobbling on over to the left edge of the field. I glassed her with my Nikons and could see I had been justa hair forward with my shot, shattering her right shoulder bone which was already covered with blood. She stood at the edge of the field fora few more moments before slipping into the woods.

I slipped out and walked the long way around the field to get to my vehicle, and noticed the Jeep's temperature read that it was still 74 degrees after sundown. Coupled with the numerous coyotes in the area, I decided to head to a local diner for supper and return within a couple hours, hoping not to lose the meat to either the temperature or the dogs.

Two and a half hours later found me following a Coleman propane lantern at arm's length, methodically searching out each drop of blood. After 45 minutes of tracking and 150 yards later, I jumped her up in a cane thicket. She didn't sound like she ran but about 20 feet or so, but it made up my mind for me; I was backing out.

My wife's schedule was packed with bible study and commitments to area volunteer organizations this morning, so I headed back over to my hunting area with my son in tow this morning. We easily found my last square of toilet paper and resumed the trail. To my chagrin, I saw that after I jumped her last night, she crossed a small 15-foot wide creek with 10-foot banks going almost straight down on both sides. I put my son on my shoulder and we took the plunge, and found that the water was just deep enough topour overthe top and fill my Lacrosse boots.

We picked up thetrail on the other side, but couldn't tellwhich way she'd veered off after standing on the other side for a moment. After a10-minute search on my hands and knees, I finally found one more drop of blood that led me to where she lay about six yards past that.

Thisis the second deer my son has got to gohelp meretrieve this year, and he's having a ball doing it. On the way back, Iasked, "Did you help Daddy get a doe?"He nodded yes, and said, "She was hiding!"

Old 11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Persistence pays off...

Great pic, and congrats on finding your deer. What did you end up hitting? The bottom of one lung?

Old 11-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

"She was hiding." Priceless.

I miss those darndest sayings from my daughter. She is 12 and doesn't say many thing like that anymore. Although I did take her hunting last year and she saw a nice buck following some does. When she later described the scene she said "and the buck was eating while the does were walking."

Really, it was rut time and the buck had his head down to the ground, but he wasn't feeding.

Nice story and congrats on your doe!! That will be good eating.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:11 PM

Awesome effort and great that you took your son out to help you and enjoy the moment together. My boys are too young to bring out with me even if I am just recovering a deer, but they come running around back when they see me backing into my driveway. They know Daddy got "something" when they see me backing my truck in. Of course, the wife ain't too happy, but I'm glad the boys enjoy the moment.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 PM

thats what its all about. if you shot it do you best to recover it!
Good Job!!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

My boys are too young to bring out with me even if I am just recovering a deer, but they come running around back...
If they're old enough to run, they're old enough to go with you! My boy just turned two at the very end of June ... Here's a pic with him helping me to recover a nice little Illinois buck a couple years ago...

To be honest though, we wouldn't have had him out there that night, but I nailed this guy right through the shoulder and watched him drop about sixty yards from my stand right out in the middle of some tall soybeans. The arrow stayed in him and plugged up the entrance hole as well. Even though I saw him snowplow into the beans and go down, darkness overtook me by the time I got down and started looking. There wasn't one speck of blood to be found, hair, or hoof print. I looked everywhere; the beans were just too tall. I finally gave up and went home and got my wife, and she put our son -- who was just about to turn five months old -- in one of those papoose-style carriers you see people with at the mall (as well as the snow suit you see him in which was about five sizes too big for him) and helped me do grid searches for over an hour. She finally found a spot "where it looked like the dirt had been disturbed." Yeah right, I thought... we've been walking around in this bean patch for two hours; what dirt haven't we disturbed? Turns out it was where he started his snowplowing, and we found him a few yards past that.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

A couple of fine looking red x's you have there.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:58 PM

Way to go MQ1...nice looking boy you go there.

A couple of fine looking red x's you have there.
If your using firefox, I get red x's alot. Just right click the x and click show picture and they usually show up.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story. I love to hear when parents get their children involved andyour daughtersresponce is classic.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

your daughtersresponce is classic.
ummm... Does he need a haircut that bad?

Quick Reply: Persistence pays off...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.