HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Persistence pays off...
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Greg / MO
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Persistence pays off...

My boys are too young to bring out with me even if I am just recovering a deer, but they come running around back...
If they're old enough to run, they're old enough to go with you! My boy just turned two at the very end of June ... Here's a pic with him helping me to recover a nice little Illinois buck a couple years ago...

To be honest though, we wouldn't have had him out there that night, but I nailed this guy right through the shoulder and watched him drop about sixty yards from my stand right out in the middle of some tall soybeans. The arrow stayed in him and plugged up the entrance hole as well. Even though I saw him snowplow into the beans and go down, darkness overtook me by the time I got down and started looking. There wasn't one speck of blood to be found, hair, or hoof print. I looked everywhere; the beans were just too tall. I finally gave up and went home and got my wife, and she put our son -- who was just about to turn five months old -- in one of those papoose-style carriers you see people with at the mall (as well as the snow suit you see him in which was about five sizes too big for him) and helped me do grid searches for over an hour. She finally found a spot "where it looked like the dirt had been disturbed." Yeah right, I thought... we've been walking around in this bean patch for two hours; what dirt haven't we disturbed? Turns out it was where he started his snowplowing, and we found him a few yards past that.