HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   How hard is fletching youself? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/99264-how-hard-fletching-youself.html)

bigbuck270 05-03-2005 12:40 PM

How hard is fletching youself?

I need a bunch of arrows refletched and I know of a few friends that are in the same boat. At cabelas you can but a single fletching jig for about $30. Is it difficult and time consuming? I can pay $1.50 per arrow to have them done(not including the vanes) but I was thinking of trying some myself. What do you know about it?

burniegoeasily 05-03-2005 01:22 PM

RE: How hard is fletching youself?

It is real easy. I would never pay to have mine fletched. Simply buy a jig and get after it. It has been years since I bought a jig, but I think they come with instructions. I think you can buy a single fletch jig for about 10 to 20 bucks. Maybe even cheaper. Just try it, its a piece of Cake.

Swamp Dawg 05-03-2005 01:56 PM

It's not that difficult. As long as your shaft preparation is good, you won't have any problems.

MO_Bowhnter 05-03-2005 03:17 PM

But tell your friend that it is difficult and charge him $1.00/arrow. Hey, hes getting a deal.:D

bigbuck270 05-03-2005 04:09 PM

There actually are a few different ones for sale. YOu can buy a AAE Fletch III for $20. Any sugestions on what fletcher to buy?

zak123 05-03-2005 04:21 PM

Fletching your arrows is easy. I use the Bitzenburger Jig with a right helical. I love the all metal design.

xibowhunter 05-03-2005 05:32 PM

not hard at all ,as long as you get a good fletching jig and a good adhesive,i use a jojan multifletcher ,you can fletch 6 arrows at once, a bitzenburger is good too ,there are several other good ones out there,it all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend .

hoyt3 05-03-2005 05:37 PM

I've been thinking of doing the fletching myself now for quite some time. what jig (I'd prefer a single) would you recommend for a left hand helical?

MO_Bowhnter 05-04-2005 09:35 AM

I've read blitzenburger are probably the best but I use a Jojan single fletcher and it works great. Just make sure you order the left helical clamp because they usually come with straight or right helical.

GRIZZLYMAN 05-04-2005 11:22 AM

Fletching is easy. I don't recommend it, but I do mine in front of the TV. If you are willing to spring for some bucks, a Bitzenberger jig is good. If not, the Grayling is $30, and basically a composite version of the Bitz (steel). You can get Duravanes for about $7.00 per 50. Use Superglue on the Duras-superglue is pretty inexpensive. Feathers are a little more expensive ($5 for a dozen at the local Academy Sporting Goods). You would probably want to use Fletch-tite for those. A box cutter, steel wool, and alcohol or solvent to clean the shafts with-and you are in business. Good luck!