HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   How hard is fletching youself? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/99264-how-hard-fletching-youself.html)

bigbuck270 05-03-2005 12:40 PM

How hard is fletching youself?

I need a bunch of arrows refletched and I know of a few friends that are in the same boat. At cabelas you can but a single fletching jig for about $30. Is it difficult and time consuming? I can pay $1.50 per arrow to have them done(not including the vanes) but I was thinking of trying some myself. What do you know about it?

burniegoeasily 05-03-2005 01:22 PM

RE: How hard is fletching youself?

It is real easy. I would never pay to have mine fletched. Simply buy a jig and get after it. It has been years since I bought a jig, but I think they come with instructions. I think you can buy a single fletch jig for about 10 to 20 bucks. Maybe even cheaper. Just try it, its a piece of Cake.

Swamp Dawg 05-03-2005 01:56 PM

It's not that difficult. As long as your shaft preparation is good, you won't have any problems.

MO_Bowhnter 05-03-2005 03:17 PM

But tell your friend that it is difficult and charge him $1.00/arrow. Hey, hes getting a deal.:D

bigbuck270 05-03-2005 04:09 PM

There actually are a few different ones for sale. YOu can buy a AAE Fletch III for $20. Any sugestions on what fletcher to buy?

zak123 05-03-2005 04:21 PM

Fletching your arrows is easy. I use the Bitzenburger Jig with a right helical. I love the all metal design.

xibowhunter 05-03-2005 05:32 PM

not hard at all ,as long as you get a good fletching jig and a good adhesive,i use a jojan multifletcher ,you can fletch 6 arrows at once, a bitzenburger is good too ,there are several other good ones out there,it all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend .

hoyt3 05-03-2005 05:37 PM

I've been thinking of doing the fletching myself now for quite some time. what jig (I'd prefer a single) would you recommend for a left hand helical?

MO_Bowhnter 05-04-2005 09:35 AM

I've read blitzenburger are probably the best but I use a Jojan single fletcher and it works great. Just make sure you order the left helical clamp because they usually come with straight or right helical.

GRIZZLYMAN 05-04-2005 11:22 AM

Fletching is easy. I don't recommend it, but I do mine in front of the TV. If you are willing to spring for some bucks, a Bitzenberger jig is good. If not, the Grayling is $30, and basically a composite version of the Bitz (steel). You can get Duravanes for about $7.00 per 50. Use Superglue on the Duras-superglue is pretty inexpensive. Feathers are a little more expensive ($5 for a dozen at the local Academy Sporting Goods). You would probably want to use Fletch-tite for those. A box cutter, steel wool, and alcohol or solvent to clean the shafts with-and you are in business. Good luck!

hunohio 05-04-2005 12:01 PM

If I can do it, anyone can do it. I bought a Bitz a couple months ago and now wouldn't even consider having someone else fletch my arrows. In my book, the Bitz is the best, but the instructions aren't very good, so look for threads here and elsewhere for additional advice. Once you get the hang of it, you will love it. BTW, after attempting to take vanes and glue off old arrows, I've begun using arrow wraps. Makes refletching a whole lot easier.

BobCo19-65 05-04-2005 02:16 PM

How hard is fletching youself?
Well, I never actually fletched myself.[8D][8D] I know, I know, bad joke.

But fletching an arrow can be very easy especiallyif you use the right glue and jig. I never like any jig that fletched them all at once FWIW.

Wirehair 05-04-2005 02:29 PM

Its a piece of cake, the hardest part is having a steady hand when you apply glue to the veins or feathers.

gibblet 05-04-2005 02:39 PM

you're supposed to use a jig, crud, i've been doing it by hand. i always wondered why everyone else's looked so nice. ;)

mobow 05-04-2005 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

But tell your friend that it is difficult and charge him $1.00/arrow. Hey, hes getting a deal.:D

OHHHH....an entrepreanuer......or...however the heck you spell it...[&:][&:] I use a Grayling fletching jig, only do one at a time, but I am no multi-tasker anyway...[8D]
It's incredibly simple. The hardest part, IMO, in using enough glue, but not TOO MUCH glue. Give it a try. It is rewarding.

bigbuck270 05-04-2005 06:16 PM

mobohunter
Cabelas sells the jig. YOu can but as either straight or right. I would like a slight right offset (1degree). is there any adjustments to degrees or is it set? and what one should I order?
Thanks for the help.

zak123 05-04-2005 06:33 PM

I am pretty sure you can adjust the degree. Is there any reason you want offset over helical?

MO_Bowhnter 05-04-2005 06:37 PM

With a fixed rest which he may have, its pretty hard to tune to get a full helical through without contact.

zak123 05-04-2005 06:44 PM

MO, I didn't think of that.

mobow 05-04-2005 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

With a fixed rest which he may have, its pretty hard to tune to get a full helical through without contact.
Yeah, and in fact, you can't....unless you are using 3". I use 4", and they were making minimal contact, but any is too much. So, I put a Drop Zone on, and no problems anymore.

nodog 05-04-2005 09:38 PM

I would never do it myself. Woudn't want to take the chance. Might glue my fingers together. Best to leave it to the pro shops.

gibblet 05-04-2005 09:59 PM

nodog, come on, when you do it yourself every one is the same, and that's a good thing when you get it like you like it.

nodog 05-05-2005 05:09 AM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

nodog, come on, when you do it yourself every one is the same, and that's a good thing when you get it like you like it.
I saw your's. That convinced me. They looked like your fingers were glued together when you did them.

Just funnin ya.

gibblet 05-05-2005 07:16 AM

you just put a little bow wax on your fingers and your clamp and no sticky. plus, if your not in a hurry, the fletch-tite stuff that isn't instant works just as well as instant glue and is much easier to get off the arrow.

that was funny by the way.

hoyt3 05-05-2005 08:42 AM

I saw a jig in bass pro for like $50 with the helical clamp. would you use the fletching glue, or the super glue? and what about when they ask if you need the c feather down clamp or whatever it is called. my carbons don't have set nocks like the old aluminums (no poking intended). I do not need this attatchment correct?

GRIZZLYMAN 05-09-2005 10:52 AM

hoyt3

I have always been told to use generic super glue on Duravanes. If I was using another type of plastic fletch, I would use Fletch-tite.

JeffB 05-09-2005 08:49 PM

How hard is fletching youself
Pretty damn tough...I can't ever get anything to stick to all my body hair

Sorry...nothing constructive going on in my brain tonite [&:]

EDIT: Crap...BobCo beat me to the punch...guess I should read the whole thread first, eh?:eek:

Mathews_Babe 05-10-2005 09:05 AM

I havent heard anyone mention the arizona ez fletch. I use it with their right helical option, a little goat glue, 30 seconds later I am ready for the next arrow. all in all, have a dozen done in an hour, never had a problem with vanes not sticking or anything, even when I use wraps.