Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead tuning question >

Broadhead tuning question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead tuning question

Old 05-02-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Broadhead tuning question

Here's my setup Tomkat 27" DL, 70lbs, 26" Goldtip XT's, TTSH fallaway rest. Here's my situation, (my bow has been tuned by the way), I was shooting 100grain field points and broadheads, I wasnt getting very good groups with my broadheads so I decided to try some different things (I'm shooting Muzzy's). I went to 125gr broadheads and noticed a difference, a good difference. My broadheads groups really improved. I sighted in with 125gr field points first and got my sights dead on with them, but when I changed to 125gr broadheads (muzzy's), my groups were on left to right, but they were approx. 3-4 lower than my field point groups. I made the adjustments on my sights for my broadheads and they group wonderful. My question is, on the easton tuning guide (if I followed it) it would suggest I lower my nocking point since my broadhead groups are lower than my field point groups Should I do this or should I just leave it the way it is? Any comments would help. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead tuning question

Well, it would seem that there is ample time before the next archery season to try moving it. I mean, you should be able to figure something out over a period of 6 months or so. I'm assuming you say your bow is tuned because you paper tuned it, right? Well, paper tuning is rough tuning at best. It's where you start so your bow has some sort of basic tuning. Then you can have some idea of where your broadheads will go---close. Tinker, tinker, tinker.

You may be only talking about 1/16", so do it and see.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not leave it alone if you are happy with your group. Most Pros tell you to use your field tips to get close, then fine tune your bow with your brodheads. At this point leave your field pionts alone. Then practice, practice, practice. Thats just my opinon. Mike
Old 05-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel that if something is not right there are things that are being affected.

There is more than just the bh dropping going on. Noise and vibration are two that I can think of. Loss of speed and penetration are others.

Conditions may also increase the negetive affects of a bh out of tune.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

Why not leave it alone if you are happy with your group. Most Pros tell you to use your field tips to get close, then fine tune your bow with your brodheads. At this point leave your field pionts alone. Then practice, practice, practice. Thats just my opinon. Mike

Because he obviously has in the back of his mind that not all is totally right with the setup he asked for some advice. The other reason to try changing it is to learn something instead of walking the bow back to the shop for every little thing that needs done. The best way to learn about bows and arrows is to "just do it".
Old 05-03-2005, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
Old 05-03-2005, 04:31 AM

I would recommend trying to adjust the nocking point. You can always move it back. If your broadheads are off by 3 or 4" while calm, they may be off significantly more in windy conditions. I don't think you should shoot a broadhead that is planning (if it is). Also, what goldtips are you shooting? 5575 would probably be a bit too weak for your setup. I would also recommend comparing the groups at various distances. This will tell you if some planing is occurring.