Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What are your 3D score averages? >

What are your 3D score averages?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What are your 3D score averages?

Old 05-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What are your 3D score averages?

i find that if you take yourself, or your score too seriously, the fun gets let right out of it all. I did that a couple weeks ago. got too serious and had a miserable time on the front half. shot sooo much better when I said to heck with it.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:05 PM

How do you score 3D? Realizing that probably none of you want to waste a long post answering that, can someone direct me to a website or reference? I don't know any archery scoring system, range or otherwise.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 PM

Score is based on the shot placement, 5 for the body of the animal, excluding hoofs and horns, 8 for the large circle, and 10 for the smaller circle inside the bigger one. Some shoots in the midwest also use an additional circle, smaller than the 8 and 10 ring, and count it as 11 or 12.

Last year, my partner and I shot as many shoots as possible, with the goal of shooting in the top 10 at every shoot. We finally made it to that point in early summer, and then it was time to prep for Elk camp.
Our yardage estimation was very good from all the shooting, and I found that I shot much better shooting with other people who were good shooters. We had a great time doing it, and I drug my daughter to all the shoots too, at 3 years old there was alot of carrying between targets, and made it interesting to try and make a good shot with my arms about to fall off.
My partner moved to Fairbanks after Elk camp, and I havn't been to a single shoot this year.[:'(]
Old 05-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Spike

I used to shoot hunter class (top range at 40 yards), now i am shooting YMR (top range at 50 yards) I have only shot one shoot in YMR, in hunter class i used to shoot around 155 out of 200, when i shot YMR i got 120 out of 200, i should have done better but my sights where off to the right, i am buying a Hoyt UltraMag, upgrading from my McPherson Mag 500, hoping i will shoot better with this bow..
Old 05-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just as a quick update, I went to another shoot yesterday and even though I feel that I didn't shoot my best I still managed to take home second place out of 20x something guys. First place shot a 267 out of 300 (x's as tie breakers only), I shot a 266 w/ 12 x's, and third shot 265. The coolest part is that all three of us shoot almost every week together and were all representing our home club of Clifton Park. I managed all 10's and X's until target 12, and then they tossed in quite a few very difficult targets, like a wolf with all sorts of branches in the way that I deflected off of that ended up as a 5, and a beaver up a 30 degree hill that was 35 paces away that I managed an 8 on. Plus the damned Jake that is my nemesis.......I hate those things.

Anyhow, it was lots of fun and today was the second time I have shot in 2 weeks, and only the third 3D I have shot in 3 years. I can't wait till June when I will have time for practice 2-3 times a week and can get a few consecutive weekends in to get more comfortable, but for now the next two weekend I will be trying to fill turkey tags.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

this was disgusting...at my local shoot this week and had a group in front of us on target 21. large group, say seven people. I was with one other person. these guys were 'pros'. I am not joking when they took 10 FRIGGIN minutes (3 guys) to shoot this target. there was another group consisting of a dad, two sons and a daughter right behind them. the 'pros' would range the target with their eyes, range it with their range finders (which IS cheating on the course, I don't care who says what) and then range again and finally shoot. I skipped the target, gave myself the same score on the target as the first half (we shoot 20 targets twice) and jumped to target 22. my buddy and I shot the 22 target and moved to the next, and had two arrows off before they even had a shot off. sick. in a group like that, let the others shoot through. I'll ask, but when you have young kids in there, let them go. it is suppose to be fun, not that serious, not at the level that this course was. really burnt my ass. told the owner of the course and he said that they only shot 30 targets and left. I asked why and he said that it was because that was all they were use to shooting. btw, I shot my best round with 7 12s and a season best score of 356. got me first in my class. I also managed an 80 yd twelve on a bedded buck...best shot I have ever made
Old 05-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I practice range finding as much as I practice shooting. I keep a running log of per target averages. I was constantly striving to better my averages. By doing this and not worrying about others, I managed to look at many in the rear view mirror as time progressed. There will always be someone ahead of you because of more time spent doing it or more talent. Don't ever worry about those people. You can catch them by worrying about you. Just like anything, inspiration can easliy be taken over by envy, and when it does your game will go to heck quickly. If you shoot a target bad, don't let it cause you to shoot the rest bad. I have won many tournaments after shooting a bad shot or two. A note on the guys that took a while, yes, they should have let people shoot through, I shot yesterday and let about 20 groups shoot through. The caliber of shoot should not matter on how much effort that you put into it. I shoot at a high competitive level and shoot every shot like the world championship depends on it, even when I practice. I have a rangefinding game that I play 2 times a week. I give myself scores for the guessed yardages vs. the rangefinder yardage. 1-2 yards I give myself an 11, for 2-4 yards a ten and so forth. I will range 40 objects and tally the score. By logging the scores I can tell if I have improved, and find out where my trouble spots are. Get to know your equipment and shoot it like a machine. I practice one night a week without ever putting my sight on. On this night I shoot my back tension release to feel what the perfect shot feels like. Another thing that I like to do is, drive to a range that is 20 miles from my house and shoot one arrow and come home. This is my one arrow night. It makes me concentrate on the first and only arow. By doing this I am training myself to get into the zone on the first target, and hopefully avoid the warm up period to get the body going. Several years ago I had the worst target panic, and 50% of the arrows at 20 yards were either in the ground or over the target. I was able to overcome my problem and slowly worked my way up by shooting against myself at every shoot. Since this time I have placed very well in the IBO triple crowns and took a state title last year. Dedication to the sport is what it takes, it all depends where your level of satisfaction stops. If a guy that had the worst form and target panic, made his way to over a 10 points per target average, so can you. I ended up with a 400 15x yesterday on 40 targets, and walked away with my 6th 1st place trophy for the year. 10 years ago, that would have never happened. Good luck on your journey.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another Update.........I shot a 287 yesterday at a 30 target course that includes x's as 12's. The second to last target was a jake turkey facing directly away (shooting at the tail) and facing downhill. I smacked an 8 on it and the damn arrow bounced off the target because of the angle, [:@] yet it clearly left a mark showing where it impacted the target in the 8 ring, leaving me with a big fat zero. I still managed to place 4th with 9 X's and a zero on that jake target, however would have taken first with a 295 if that arrow would have stuck in the target. Oh well, you can win like that and you can lose like that I guess............[:'(] Still not too bad for my 4th 3D shoot in 3 years I guess.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on the great shooting. It sounds like your skills are continuing to progress nicely.....and don't worry about that jake turkey. I should tell you about the time that I had an arrow bounce off the ground and end up in the hole of the "shot up" vitals of a bedded whitetail target....

...and, yes, I counted it....
Old 06-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

this was disgusting...at my local shoot this week and had a group in front of us on target 21. large group, say seven people. I was with one other person. these guys were 'pros'. I am not joking when they took 10 FRIGGIN minutes (3 guys) to shoot this target. there was another group consisting of a dad, two sons and a daughter right behind them. the 'pros' would range the target with their eyes, range it with their range finders (which IS cheating on the course, I don't care who says what) and then range again and finally shoot. I skipped the target, gave myself the same score on the target as the first half (we shoot 20 targets twice) and jumped to target 22. my buddy and I shot the 22 target and moved to the next, and had two arrows off before they even had a shot off. sick. in a group like that, let the others shoot through. I'll ask, but when you have young kids in there, let them go. it is suppose to be fun, not that serious, not at the level that this course was. really burnt my ass. told the owner of the course and he said that they only shot 30 targets and left. I asked why and he said that it was because that was all they were use to shooting. btw, I shot my best round with 7 12s and a season best score of 356. got me first in my class. I also managed an 80 yd twelve on a bedded buck...best shot I have ever made
Sounds like you were shooting behind the Sparks Sport Center crew out of Martinsburg

Quick Reply: What are your 3D score averages?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.