Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 To wrap or not to wrap that is the ? >

To wrap or not to wrap that is the ?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

To wrap or not to wrap that is the ?

Old 04-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default To wrap or not to wrap that is the ?

Is there any negitives to using arrow wraps other than cost? The reason I say cost is if you mess up a vane you would have to strip down to the arrow and use another wrap to refletch right?? And what are some of the positives in using arrow wraps?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:00 PM

Default RE: To wrap or not to wrap that is the ?

I put them on my hunting arrows last year. Partially because I needed to do something to stay busy in anticipation of the season but also because I wanted to make sure they were easy to find in the leaves after the shot.

Finding arrows after the passthru was definitely easy. Haven't refletched those arrows yet though, and that process is the only downside I can think of.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:50 PM

The only negative I can think of is that it could conceivably bring your FOC down below an acceptable %, especially if you are already using a heavy vane such as a Quick Spin 4".
Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 PM

Hear is my theory...They do bring down your FOC,but that enables you to use 125 heads,which are a must if your hunting elk!!! Also helps you find your arrows after a pass thru or a missed target..As far as seeing them better in flight.. THats horse S#$t!! good luck..
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swamp Dawg

The only negative I can think of is that it could conceivably bring your FOC down below an acceptable %, especially if you are already using a heavy vane such as a Quick Spin 4".
You talkin to ME?

Like everyone else said, it could bring your FOC down. Thats about the only thing I can think of.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen no performance change between plain, dipped and wrapped arrows. In a truly technical sense, yes a wrap will reduce your FOC a little bit, however at most, you are probably looking at about a 1.5% change. In my experience, unless you are on the hairy edge to begin with, the wraps have no negative effect.

From the practical side, they make refletching significantly easier. No more scraping glue off the shafts and potentially gouging the carbon.

As for the comment about finding your arrow after a pass through, that is spot on. Even with a bright fletch, I normally spot the wrap before the fletch.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

98Redline how does a wrap make it easier to reflech an arrow? Do you just peal the wrap off and put a new one on?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

That is about the size of it. Peel the wrap and all of the fletches and glue come along with it.

Steel force makes an arrow wrap debonder that works amazing. Put some of this on your wrap and let it soak for like 30 seconds. The wrap nearly falls off the arrow.
Clean up with soap and water, rewrap and refletch.

Be sure to remove your nocks when you do this the debonder will soften them.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:58 PM

Of course when you are using feathers wraps can have a benift for FOC...Than again, I am order 140 or 150 grain tips for my bow so FOC is really no problem...Big old heavy arrows.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big old heavy arrows.
Yeah, 550 grains worth. If my arrow wasnt so heavy now, I would do just as you, to help my spine. Which would bring me up to about 550 or so.

Quick Reply: To wrap or not to wrap that is the ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.