Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Wanna help me out with my speed? >

Wanna help me out with my speed?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wanna help me out with my speed?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wanna help me out with my speed?

242fps
26 inch draw
54#
80% LO
6 inch brace
342 grain arrow.

But, I shoot at around 510 grain arrow. How fast do you think this thing would fly? Got a guess at what my KE and all that good stuff would be?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:50 PM

Default RE: Wanna help me out with my speed?

A arrow that heavy would fly a lot slower...im guessin aroun 220 but i could be way wrong, im not really sure.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

242fps
26 inch draw
54#
80% LO
6 inch brace
342 grain arrow.

But, I shoot at around 510 grain arrow. How fast do you think this thing would fly? Got a guess at what my KE and all that good stuff would be?
A bow shooting a 342 grain arrow at 242 ft/sec carries 44.5 ft/lbs. of KE and 0.37 pound seconds of momentum. If you shot a 510 arrow from the same bow and we assume 100 grains of virtual mass then this bow should shoot this arrow at 206 ft/sec and it would carry 48.1 ft/lbs KE and 0.467 pound seconds momentum. If we assume 150 grains virtual mass it calculates to 208.9 ft/sec with 49.5 ft/lbs KE and 0.473 pound seconds momentum.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:58 AM

what, heavier arrow, slower speed, more momentum? more ke? ohmygawad. do people believe yet?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not to hijack this thread but do you want to post a little refresher on virtual mass Sylvan? What would be an average figure for a moderate/typical setup on one of today's bows?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dropped close to 40 fps? Wow. I wasnt expecting that much. [:-]
Old 04-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

post a little refresher on virtual mass
Don't you remember Arthur's post a year ago (another lengthy discussion) about "What the &$%##$@# is virtual mass?!?"

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...8&mpage=1&key=
Old 04-14-2005, 06:45 PM

here is a calculater

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...tion/index.cfm
Old 04-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to hijack this thread but do you want to post a little refresher on virtual mass Sylvan? What would be an average figure for a moderate/typical setup on one of today's bows?
Here is a good site to learn about virtual mass as well as many other archery physics topics http://homepage.ntlworld.com/joetapley/

I think of virtual mass as the equivalent amount of mass that is accelerated if you were to dry fire the bow. Its kind of the equivalent of all the wasted energy expressed in terms of added weight to be accelerated. When you shoot an arrow it takes energy to accelerate the mass of the arrow plus the virtual mass.

Typically modern compounds will run 100 to 150 grains of virtual mass and of course the lower the better. Here are some values taken from the last 3 issues of Bowhunting World.

Mathews Outback - 91-98 grains
PSE Vengeance - 150-156 grains
High Country TSSR Carbon - 140 - 155 grains
Old 04-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

what, heavier arrow, slower speed, more momentum? more ke? ohmygawad. do people believe yet?
Exactly gibblet! Like I said in the other thread, the archer can't separate momentum and ke. They both go up and down with arrow weight so to argue about which is more important is kind of meaningless to the archer. Heavier simply means more penetration potential and the price is a slower speed and greater trajectory. Whether the increased penetration potential comes as a result of more momentum or more KE is irrelevant.

Quick Reply: Wanna help me out with my speed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.