Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

too long

Old 03-27-2005, 11:32 AM

Default too long

My present draw if to be measured is too long. However, I dont get string slap, unless after shooting for some time probably due to fatigue and then its just at the wrist area close to the hand. I am able to shoot good/accurate enough. If I had to guess I am probably 1-1.5inch long presently. Should I go to my actuall dl or leave it alone? What will I need to watch for in if my long dl is not working for me? I might add, at one inch shorter, I feel cramped up. thanks for all.............Mitch
Old 03-27-2005, 01:16 PM

Default RE: too long

String slap isnt good. Thats a sign right there, fatigued or not, you should never hit your wrist or forearm.

Secondly, who measured you? You very well could be 1" too long. But it also depends on whats comfortable to you.

Your stance may be too closed, causing you to need more length. Thats fine, if your comfortable, and you can repeat your form and stance. However, you would probably become more consistant, especially when fatigued, if you open up your stance a lil bit and shorten your draw 1/4-1/2" maybe more.

Start with stance; pick a target, close your eyes and draw back. If your bow is not pointing at the target, open or close your stance until it is.

Next, work on a solid anchor; You need bone to bone contact. Like draw hand knuckles to jaw. You cant be floating back there.

Now tinker with your draw length until you can;
pick an object, close your eyes, draw back to a solid anchor, remaining comfortable, and upon opening your eyes, be aimed at that object.

Basically, what Im saying is...measurements get you close, but the perfect draw is found by tinkering. You HAVE to find a draw length that fits you perfectly. Good luck---Matt
Old 03-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: too long

I like the way Mattiac answered. Tinkering is where you get to figure things out and learn, not just with drawlength but every aspect of archery. But you asked about DL so we'll get there. If you are indeed about 1" too long, but feel crunched up with the shorter draw, then try 1/2" for about a month and let your muscles become accustomed to it. The reduce it again and again in 1/4" increments. The reason many people don't feel comfy with the optimum drawlength is that they have shot too long for too long and their muscles have become accustomed to it. Reduce gradually if you are going to do it at all. Once you reach what is about right (optmum) you should see a change for the better in accuracy. Again, this won't happen overnight. It takes time and patience.