Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 what's the deal with looping under nock >

what's the deal with looping under nock

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what's the deal with looping under nock

Old 03-23-2005, 07:06 AM

Default what's the deal with looping under nock

well, i didn't get an answer on the bowhunting side sooooo....

what's the deal with having your loop completely under your nock. on my michael braden video he has it that way. the nock has tied in pts either above and below or just above i can't tell. so either the top loop knot is the bottom nocking pt or there is a little tied in one above it.

why? what are advantages? is it good for hunting or just target? just wanting to learn.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what's the deal with looping under nock

Gibblet,

I had several of my bows set up in this fashion a year or two ago. The explanation for this specific loop setup is that by placing the loop below the arrow nock you are somewhat helping to compensate for the less than perfect nock travel of many single cam bow designs. The exact "whys" and "how-tos" escape me right now as I have not used it on any my setups for awhile now.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:44 AM

thanks for the info. is there any reason you stopped?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I did not really notice any advantage using the low loop. I shot a regular loop, with some modifications, just as accurately as the low loop. I am guessing this had more to do with the change in single cam designs over the years than anything else.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

My understanding is that it allows a little downward pressure on the arrow during the draw and shot to keep it from "bouncing" on the rest.

The same can be accomplished with a tied nock point below the arrow, then tie the loop below the nock and above the arrow.

--Bob
Old 03-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

My understanding is that it allows a little downward pressure on the arrow during the draw and shot to keep it from "bouncing" on the rest.

The same can be accomplished with a tied nock point below the arrow, then tie the loop below the nock and above the arrow.

--Bob
This is what I have been told as well..........

Now I simply tie in a nock below the arrow and the loop below the nock and above the arrow as Bob said above.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:59 PM

well, i tried it, didn't like it.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is mostly for downward pressure on the rest with the arrow allowing a more repeatable shot across the rest.I found that looping with a normal loop that there CAN be some twist associated with it and yes I did tie in a nockset above and below.

I talked to a coach yesterday and he said that the Louisville shoot was loaded with pros shooting the loop under.He also likes this method better than a standard loop.

It' funny,I made the switch 4-5 years ago and havn't looked back.

Braden addressed this issue briefly some time ago on his forum on his web sight.He also said it really is a matter of preference.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I picked up a new bow recently and the guy had tied the loop under the nock. I thought it was a little weird. Haven't changed it. I'm hopping some light bulb will go off in my head and give me an answer.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:03 PM

The ultimate loop under

Quick Reply: what's the deal with looping under nock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.