Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Crossbow differences >

Crossbow differences

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Crossbow differences

Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Crossbow differences

I am looking at buying my first crossbow. I have been told that Barnett and Horton are the best. My question is what is the advantage of a single limb / recurve crossbow vs. split limb or compound crossbows. Are the crossbow that look more like a compound bow the ones to go with???? I have seen the recurve looking style sell for around $100 with a scope, but didn't know if they were any good.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow differences

I don't know where you heard what you did, but I've got some experience with them and those two are at the bottom of the list, almost. Ten Point and XCalibur are your two top ones when you're looking at quality. When you go looking pay attention to such things as which have machined aluminum rail and sight mount vs molded policarbonates. Trigger pull is another issue on the cheaper models.
I've checked a lot of Hortons where the limbs attach to the stock and they have tendency to wobble, which effects accuracy a bunch. As I said----plastic.

It might be pretty hard to swallow when you look at price tags, but believe me. The higher priced models really are that much better than the junk.