Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Weird arrow flight? >

Weird arrow flight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Weird arrow flight?

Old 03-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Weird arrow flight?

This is probably going to sound like a very stupid question so please bear with me. I'm shooting a Tomkat (left handed) 70lbs, 27inch DL, Goltip xt's 26inches, 100 grain field points, trophy taker shaker rest. I dont know if my eyes are playing tricks on me or what but @ times it seems that when my arrow leaves my rest it doesnt always go to the target in a straight "line". Its not fishtailing or porpoising, but it looks like it is curving. It shoots good groups. I dont how to exactly explain it but for anyone who understands baseball its like if a left handed pitcher threw a curveball to you while your bathing. It makes that kind of flight pattern. I know this sounds weird and stupid but for anyone who understands what I'm talking about, is this normal, abnormal or are my eyes really playing tricks on me. I feel stupid for even asking but I've just got to. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weird arrow flight?

Tomkat (left handed) 70lbs, 27inch DL, Goltip xt's 26inches
savedbygrace--you did not mention the arrow size--are they 3555's /5575's or 7595's.
I hope they are not 3555.
They are quite a few other situations that can cause this to happen, but first let's look at what you're shooting.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 PM

wow a curve-arrow. if you figure it out i might do it to my bow.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:28 AM

Sorry ampa my arrow size is 5575
Old 03-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I pulled my compound out and shot it for the first time in over a year last Sunday. I was getting the same thing. It'd been so long since I'd shot a compound that I'd forgotten a basic rule. It only took me 27 targets of crappy arrow flight in a 30 target tournament to remember: Rule #1 - Check to make sure your rest isn't loose.

Mine was.

Shooting crosswind or quartering in a strong breeze will also make you shoot curveballs, which was also a problem last Sunday.

If it's not one of those two things, then it's time for a tuneup.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:29 AM

Sorry ampa my arrow size is 5575
Old 03-22-2005, 10:11 AM

i can almost hear the deer now -- 'oh, he's not shooting at us....thwap!'
Old 03-22-2005, 10:21 AM

Comedians, I'm surrounded by Comedians. Ha, Ha poke fun at the fat kid with the crooked bow. just kidding
Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 AM

poke poke.

No, actually is the string or anything hitting your jacket or arm while you shoot? I would have someone stand behind you, maybe your eyes are just playing tricks on you.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a similar problem once.
It was the weirdest thing.

Turned out to be a bad combination of poor clearance off the rest, and broadheads that didn't spin true.
So the thing started out minnowing from hitting the rest funny, and then the crooked BH played off of the original interference and kept it from ever stabilizing.

The result was the coolest looking corkscrew flight I've ever seen.

-----~\~_ ~@_ _~`^^--=/~---> []

Quick Reply: Weird arrow flight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.