Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 STS system anyone? >

STS system anyone?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS system anyone?

Old 03-21-2005, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default STS system anyone?

After browsing through some other archery/bowhunting websites in recent days I came across a thread focused on the "STS system". For those of you unfamiliar with it, it is similar to the Saunders Buzz Tamer or NAAG's Shock Stopper cable guard attachment. In essence it is a gadget designed to reduced string vibration...and much more. It basically looks like a dog-leg cable guard rod with a Sims regular enhancer screwed into the end of it. It attaches to the bow in either the front or rear stabilizer holes (if your bow is so equipped). The bowstring basically rests up against the "string stopper" Sims enhancer look-alike at brace and strikes it when it is released during the shot.

I have toyed with the NAAG version on several occassions since it was introduced but never kept it on for an extended period of time. Reports of the rubber stop breaking (on the NAAG model) and potential string damage always left me a bit leery about using it over the long term. The STS version though is reported to be better than some of the previous designs because it is more of rigid in nature. It does not slide, like the NAAG version, but rather stays solid during the entire shot process.

Reports I have read are giving credit to it creating more of a forgiving shot since it forces the arrow to leave the string quicker. It also is touted at greatly reducing (somewhere around 95%) noise levels as well as vibration and recoil. That would make sense considering its design and positioning.

I had it in my mind to order one over the weekend but while sitting down at the shop on Saturday I thought I might attempt at creating one of my own. With some stabilizer extension pieces and a Sims regular stabilizer enhancer I put together my own version of the STS system. Admittedly, it falls short of the original design somewhat as mine is not as adjustable. You might consider it "custom" for my particular bow considering the length of the bow's brace height, etc... In addition, I also saw that it was recommended to serve the bowstring at the location where the stop comes in contact with it. This was done with about 1/4 of an inch extra serving on either side of the stop.

The first shot with this setup provided a definite, noticeable difference. Noise levels were greatly reduced and it appeared as if some of the bow's already low level of recoil was also lessened. What really surprised me though is that it seemed as if my accuracy levels also improved. I went from shooting 2 inch and under groups to actually having each arrow slapping against the other during each shot.

I was also interested in its effects on speed so I shot a few shots through the chronograph. Surprisingly, I found some inconsistant results. With my lighter, 380 grain Easton Excels I saw an increase in speed of 2-3 fps...from 283 fps to 285-286 fps. With my mid-weight 440 grain Beman ICS Hunters I saw no change in speed...to possibly 1 fps.

I know that I saw several of you posting on the STS thread in question and would be curious to see if anyone else has tried it and/or what your opinion of it is. Personally, it is too early to tell if this is really a "worthwhile device" but I do think it requires further extensive testing.

Thanks ahead of time for the comments.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: STS system anyone?

Frank,
I'm one of the guys who is using the STS system.....but you probably already knew that.

It definitely does as advertised. I think I'm really feeling the benefits quite a bit because I am shooting my Old Glory for 3D without string silencers......but aside from the fact that it makes the bow quieter, it does remove any extra thump, and reduces overall bow movement considerably.
I didn't buy it as a noise reducing item......I wanted the advertised "Increased Accuracy" through the fact that it definitely does get the arrow away quicker. (and probably more consistently as well)
As I stated over there yesterday, I shot my Outdoor 3D Winter League shoot with it and certainly can't complain about the results.
I wound up with a 316/330 IBO (298/18X) round
I can't say that I wouldn't have shot that score anyway, but I do feel like it reduced the "Slop" in the shot and seemed to tighten up the lefts and rights.

I haven't had a chance to chrono it to see if there is a speed benefit, but that's not what I wanted it for........it does seem to be doing what I wanted to see from it.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Matt. I did see that you posted on the thread but not that you had received it and were using it already (I haven't been online since Friday). I am guessing that the dog-leg design allows you to position the rubber stop closer to the center of the bowstring. Is this true?

Have you found anything detrimental about it yet?

I think I am going to keep my version of it on the bow for awhile just to see how it continues to affect my shooting. Let me know any other thoughts you have on it.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 AM

i've been following that conversation very closely and almost ordered twice. i think i'll go ahead and do it.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:09 AM

Seems that if it stropped the string short, less arrow time on the string, you've essentially garnered the same effect as increasing the brace right?

How can you not lose speed if this is the case?

Not knocking it...I have one on order as well but just throwing ideas out there.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Trushot archer,

Good question. I think it was answered on one of the threads/posts on the other site. If I remember correctly it does not affect speed because the powerstroke of the bow ends at brace. Any and all energy imparted into the arrow is done up to that point. When the string travels beyond brace it is not imparting any further energy into the arrow. At least that was the logic that I read. In which case the rubber stop would not adversely affect arrow speed and could potentially increase it for some setups in which the arrow does not come off the string as cleanly as it potentially could.

As I mentioned in my original post, I noticed a small increase in speed with the lighter arrow but literally no increase with the mid-weight arrow. For some reason I seem to remember someone else finding similar results on a related topic but the specifics escape me right now.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:00 PM

well, i just ordered one from joe and brenda. brenda is super to talk with and order from. i pointed them in the direction of this site and maybe they'll show up with some good info.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

This sounds interesting. Does anyone have any links?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163871

...and I will try to take some pics of the rig I put together on my own if I get a chance.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was interested in this product as well. There have been a few gadgets that have claimed to do the same thing. I had the Saunders "Deadly Quiet" and really didn't care for it at all. It claimed to do all of the things the STS claims, but I can see how a Limb Saver "button" would do a much better job than the device that Saunders was using to stop the string. The Saunders did stop the vibration, but replaced it with a "WHAP" sound.[:'(] Can you guys here a slapping sound when your string hits the STS? It seems somewhat ironic that many guys (on the other sites) who have written about the STS are using them on bows that most have described as very low (or no) recoil, vibe, and noise bows, yet they say the STS makes a big difference. Kinda confusiing.[&:]

Quick Reply: STS system anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.