Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 vipertech tuning >

vipertech tuning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

vipertech tuning

Old 03-18-2005, 06:00 AM

Default vipertech tuning

I recently bought a 2005 vipertech. It shoots great but I think I may have some tuning issues. I have put about 300 or so arrows through it and just recently the bow is shooting very erratic. I checked the tuning holes on the cam and it is close but not exact, and the brace height is way shorter ( 3/4 of an inch) off of what the specs say. My question is do I twist the cable and the string or just one or the other, I also had my peep rotate on me last night to were it was difficult to see. I aslso printed off the 2004 tune charts, I was wondering if they are the same as the 05 model. Any info would be great.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: vipertech tuning

Did you measure anything when you first got the bow. Specs are just general guidelines. Most bows vary a bit from posted specs. To that end, since your peep is turning quite a bit I'd suspect that the string is creeping during breakin shooting. All strings will do this to some extent. That's a good reason to use after-market strings. They are put together under prestressed conditions. If you reset the peep and it keeps on turning, especially if it's a lot then I'd replace the string pronto. Theonly time I ever had a peep go crazy on me---turning a lot from shot to shot, the darn thing snapped on about shot #5. Things were pretty ugly for a few seconds. Kinda rattled my thoughts till I got it together and figures out what happened.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

While I am not an expert at the Cam and a Half tuning, I can tell you one thing for sure. GET RID OF THE FACTORY STRING!
The D75 material that Hoyt uses is pretty fast, but it never stops stretching. You can be assured that your peep will continue to rotate as long as you own the bow. Go with something like 452X. That material once set pretty much stays put. I have had a 452X string on my target bow for about 5 months. I would say it probably has about 5000 shots through it and my peep has never moved.

As far as the cam and a half tuning goes, take a look on Archerytalk.com. There are a number of posts buy a guy that goes by Javelena. He has some diagrams and directions on getting the Cam and a Half back in time.

As for the specs, you need to call Hoyt to get the numbers.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:06 PM

I have a razortec that was shooting great. I started shoot league this winter and was all over the place. I took it to my proshop to have it tuned and when he checked it there a screw missing in one of the limb holders and several other screws were loose. He fixed me up and I am back to hitting like before. Just a thought you may want to check before doing any drastic tuning.