Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Switchback Set Up >

Switchback Set Up

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Switchback Set Up

Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Switchback Set Up

I have just purchased my first new bow in 15 years and will use it exclusively for hunting. I have been reading your forum for the 6 months and you all are a wonderful wealth of information...Thanks.
I picked up my new Switchback this past Saturday and my bow shop owner worked with me on the set up. I must say he skipped a lot of steps that are routinely reviewed in this forum. I did not want to act more knowlegeable then I am so I mostly watched. I do have a few questions I was hoping you could help with. I have a 72.5 wingspan. The owner put me in a 28 drawlength bow with a loop. He says it's a .25 inch short but he could compensate by taking ATA out of spec by twisting cable and gaining the .25 in draw. Is this OK? Also, he pressed the bow without backing off bolts. Is this OK. We did no paper tuning of any kind. He said it was a waste of time. What do you guys think??
Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 PM

Default RE: Switchback Set Up

OMG, I think you need to find a new proshop..... [:@] First big no no is not backing off the bolts before he pressed it. [&o] Second why not just get you the right cam for the bow so that your draw lenght will be right. Third paper tuning is VERY important... Im not trying to be negitive here it is just my opinion and i hope that it helps you...
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the confirmation deer-hunter18. Should I be concerned about the bow press without backing off bolts issue? Is there anything I can check to make sure no damage was done? With respect to the draw length...he claimed that I was in between 28 and 28.5 and he could adjust the ATA to get 28.25. Doesn't this take the bow out of specification and won't it have a negative effect on performance? This guy has two shops in the area and the next closest is quite a distance away.[:'(] I'm looking for as much ammunition (written) as possible to go back in with this weekend.[>:]
Old 03-15-2005, 08:04 AM

Well when i called mathews the other day i taked to customer service, he told me before i pressed my bow to back off both bolts 4 turns, that is 4 equal turns on each bolt... As far as draw goes if you have a 72.5" wingspan i just dont unerstand how you could be in a 28in draw lenght. How tall are you? I have a 66" winspan aprox. and im about 5'9" tall and my draw length is 29" whit no loop.. When you come to full draw is your arm that is holding the bow bent at the elbow? if so How much? In my onpinion you should have a little bend in you elbow but not too much. I would think that twisting the cables and making the draw longer would take the bow out of spec. and that could throw your bow off just the slightest bit.

In my opinion i would take the bow to the guy and talk very nicely to him and just tell him you are not happy, Tell him that when you press the switchback you have to back off both bolts 4 equal turns, then just let him know that the bows draw length is just to short, but you want to keep the bow in spec, so then ask him if he will order new cams for you to make the draw longer. A dealer can get these cams for about $20 each.

I really hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions just let me know i will try to help.

Kyle McGarry
Old 03-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Well when i called mathews the other day i taked to customer service, he told me before i pressed my bow to back off both bolts 4 turns, that is 4 equal turns on each bolt...
I still don't understand that. If you have everything tuned to the "nth degree" and need to put in a different peep, or simply want to put in just a half-twist of a cable or string, you have to UNDO your tweaked-in draw weight and limb bolt adjustment?[:@]

Buy a new X-Press from Sure Loc.....
Old 03-15-2005, 09:55 AM

Id does not matter what press you have, you should back off your bolts on any bow before you press it.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

... As far as draw goes if you have a 72.5" wingspan i just dont unerstand how you could be in a 28in draw lenght. How tall are you? I have a 66" winspan aprox. and im about 5'9" tall and my draw length is 29" whit no loop
I am going by my chart,and seems to be pretty accurate to me and others.
Bruno---If your wingspan is 72.5 inch then your inbetween 28.5 and 29 inch draw,probably with a loop your 28 should work fine.
deer-hunter----WOW a 29 inch draw at 5'9 and a wing span of 66".Chart says a 25.5 inch draw,you must be drawing back to your ear---lol
Im 5'9.5" with a wing span of 69 exactly and am drawing 27 inch,string on the corner of mouth and touching nose.
I understand the chart isn't going to be exact and there are alot of variables on draw length for example the chest width and so on.

I have also never heard of backing out the limb bolts on a tuned bow to press.If it should be done then maybe I better make this a habbit.So say for example---My bow is perfectly tuned,everything is exactly where i want it .But now I want to install some string leaches,I have to back out the bolts 3-4 turns,throwing out all my measurements just to press the bow?

And Bruno1----This is your bow that you paid your hard earned cash on.If you feel that he is doing something wrong,or prefere it to be done in a different fashion then by all means,tell him,remember you are the customer
Old 03-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Id does not matter what press you have, you should back off your bolts on any bow before you press it.
I do not agree with that at all.

It simply takes a high-quality, and well-designed press. Not a cheapy, center pull press. I would never buy a bow in the first place that required you to loosen the limb bolts before pressing. [:'(] They only one I've heard of mentioning that is Mathews.

Why would you need to loosen bolts if you have a press that moves the limbs AS YOU WOULD if you are drawing the bow? (Sure Lok X-Press). No pressure is ever put on the riser.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:01 AM

every time that i press my bow i back off the bolts and then when I'm done i just tighten them back up 4 turns, my bow has never been off because of that. It always shoots fine.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:06 AM

deer-hunter----WOW a 29 inch draw at 5'9 and a wing span of 66".Chart says a 25.5 inch draw,you must be drawing back to your ear---lol
Sorry just remeasured i dont know how i screwed that up so bad my wingspan is 71" My bad.

Quick Reply: Switchback Set Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.