Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Alright.....some pics of my Harbor Freight Arrow Saw for less than $30 >

Alright.....some pics of my Harbor Freight Arrow Saw for less than $30

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Alright.....some pics of my Harbor Freight Arrow Saw for less than $30

Old 03-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Alright.....some pics of my Harbor Freight Arrow Saw for less than $30

Alright guys. Some of you have seen the post I made looking for a way to make a jig for my new Harbor Freight mini saw. You can buy the saw at this link for $20. Keep in mind, while it is a good price, it will take nearly a month to get to your door. [:'(]

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307

I went to Lowe's last night looking for a way to set this up so that I could make accurate and square cuts. I ended up buying a piece of angle iron, and a piece of steel bent in a 90 degree angle used for shelving and reinforcement that had screw holes in it. The screw holes were the perfect size to fit a nock into. I simply measure my cut ahead of time from the throat of the nock to the blade, use a pair of mini vise grips to clamp the 90 degree piece of steel to the angle iron, put the shaft in, and lower the saw blade just low enough so that I can spin the shaft on the blade. I spin the shaft to ensure that I make a square cut. I must say that this setup works well, better than I thought. I will be eventually bolting the whole thing down to a piece of flat 2x6 so that the setup is portable, that is the only problem right now. The saw is currently bolted to the desk directly (my GF was thrilled with this ) but will be removed shortly and put on the 2x6. I will probably mount a metal yard stick to the setup as well so that it will accurately measure the length of the shafts when cut. The only other recommendations I would make is to buy a 3" abrasive cutting blade for it instead of the original metal one. The original blade cuts fine through the carbon, however I see it getting dull after a few dozen arrows.

I know it looks like it isn't square in these pics too.......I took the angle iron off the desk last night and just threw it back up to take these pics. This is why I will be mounting it to a 2x6 soon so I don't have to worry about it being off.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:49 PM

Default RE: Alright.....some pics of my Harbor Freight Arrow Saw for less than $30

looks like a nice little setup you got their
Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 PM

Default RE: Alright.....some pics of my Harbor Freight Arrow Saw for less than $30

Just a note on the blade
It is 2 inch not 3 and yes an abrasive will work a lot better and more efficently though I do not know how it will work with carbons.
It does work great on alum i have done 4 doz arrows with mine.
Just remember do not force the cut just ease it threw and you will get a nice square cut. Abrasive wheels will flex if forced just ease threw and you'll be fine.
But it would be wise to get an extra belt as you have to order them.Don't need to have one break and then no backup[:@]
As you now know,it's a great little arrow saw for the price ..
Have fun
Bill
Old 03-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

(Smacks forehead)
Now why didn't I think of that ?!