Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which G.P.S.?

Old 03-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default Which G.P.S.?

I have been using an Eagle handhelp G.P.S. for about 8 years. I use it mostly for new hunting areas and fishing. It died on me last week I haven't kept up on the new technology. What would be a good replacement?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Which G.P.S.?

I have a Garmin Etrek and love it
Old 03-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.garmin.com
http://www.magellangps.com/en/
those are the two sites i go to.
i guess it all depends on what and how you are going to use it. i use mine in conjunction with a map program i have, that way i can add waypoints onto the maps and print them out. i currently have the garmin etrex summit, comes with a lot of bells and whistles that i never use. also have the rhino combo gps and radio, again they come with a lot of stuff i never use. recently i started checking out the magellan line, have the sporTrak color, it is nice because i can download portions of maps to it, either topo or street maps. the one i use the most right now is the magellan eXplorist 300. it does not hook up to the puter and there is no way to update it, but i have found it to be very accurate. it is a simple unit, not a lot of useless stuff in it, easy to setup, carry, etc. Magellan just came out with three more units, explorist 400, 500, and 600, you might want to check their site and see what would interest you. i guess it all comes down to different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:16 AM

Try the Magellan Topo. Sometimes Dick's Sporting Goods offers a Package deal. Also check thier web site for rebate info
Old 03-05-2005, 07:20 PM

I use the Garmin Etrx Summit and Love it. Easy to use too.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kraton

I use the Garmin Etrx Summit and Love it. Easy to use too.

I use a Garmin somethingorother myself. They are easy.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Fork Horn

I also use a Garmin Etrex summit,,have been for the last four or five years,,what i like about it is it gives you a bearing (correct compass heading) while standing still, with some of the other type units you have to walk a ways so the satellite can get a fix on the direction your going,,get one that gives you an instant bearing.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:08 AM

To be honest, I have never used one. I have been looking at them though and was kind of interested in the Garmin 120. It is a GPS and a two way radio both. I don't know much about it though, as far as if it would be the right choice for my needs etc. Maybe someone else here has used one and we can both learn a little about them!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rob1

To be honest, I have never used one. I have been looking at them though and was kind of interested in the Garmin 120. It is a GPS and a two way radio both. I don't know much about it though, as far as if it would be the right choice for my needs etc. Maybe someone else here has used one and we can both learn a little about them!

Well, long story short, I found myself lost in the mountains of Va. last season, in the dark. I had a radio and a gps and let me say these things eat up batteries, it's good to carry extra's. I wouldn't want my gps and radio dead at the same time, besides 2 unit with the same batteries means one can operate both if need be. It' also easy to drop things in the woods and damn hard to find at night so don't buy the camo model. Get one that's reflective or make it that way. Hasn't been that log since then but I look back on the experience with a smile. I don't recommend getting lost in the mountains but if you do, and make it out, it makes for a great story.

These things are great. Set a waypoint in the summer and come rite back to it in the dark next november. All for around 100 bucks. It' a blast.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:36 AM

Never thought about it that way, Nodog. I wouldn't want my GPS and Radio dead at the same time either! Thanks for the input. Is there a certain brand that you would recommend?
Thanks, Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.