Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 First bow purchase question? >

First bow purchase question?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

First bow purchase question?

Old 03-05-2005, 09:13 AM

Default First bow purchase question?

What a great site---great info!

This my first post so if this question has been asked 1000 times before -- sorry. I'm sure you guys have forgotten more about bows than I'll ever know but I need some beginners help with these questions:

Is there a chart that list the right size bow and pull for the height and arm length of a person? I'm 6'2" w/ a 35 inch sleeve length---what general size bows should I start looking for?

I'm an old 60 year old x-commercial fisherman with bursitis in both shoulders and the 70lb bow I tried at a local gun shop--- I couldn't get it back w/o a lot of hurt---truth is, not use if I could ever get it back again? I then tried a 50 lb and ...Wow...no problem ----is 50LB enough for whitetail hunting in the SE?

Thanks
Sinkbox <><
Old 03-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Default RE: First bow purchase question?

Welcome to the forum! 50 pounds is plenty to take a whitetail and theres a lot of ways to test your drawlength, one way is to put a meter stick in the center fo your chest and extend your arms all the way out onto the meter stick and then whatever it says should be your drawlength, or some shops have a bow with an arrow on it that has all the measurements, i Dont know if these are the easiest ways to do it but they will work, Maybe someone else knows a better way. Welcome to the forum again, have fun.

BB90
Old 03-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Best thing to do is go to a good pro shop they will not only be able to help with your draw lenght but will also be able to set you up with a bow that fits YOU and if possible try as many different bows to find the one that feels best to you.

A pro shop will also help with all the other gear your going to need ie rest,sights,arrows,release etc

50lb is more than enough to take whitetails.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome! If you look around you will see I ask alot of questions myself. A good way to get an idea is to measure your wing span (arms up to shoulder height and measure tip to tip) then divide by 2.5. Its fairly close but you need a shop to do it to be sure. 50 lbs will zip through any deer alive. Have fun.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard sinkbox----glad to have you with us.Any questions at all just ask away and someone would be more then pleased to help you out

I have a wing span chart here that should help you out.It is pretty accurate and should be pretty darn close to what your looking for.
Stand up against a wall,shoulders straight,arms stretched out comfortably and have someone measure you from finger tip to finger tip.
63 inch wingspan-----24 inch draw
64--24.5
65--25
66--25.5
67--26
68--26.5
69--27
70--27.5
71--28
72--28.5
73--29
74--29.5
75--30
76--30.5
77--31
And so on----I hope this helped and should give you an idea on your draw length.
Alot of people cheat on their draw length because a bow is faster with a longer draw,they just try to get used to the draw and shoot .They are not shooting to their full potential.You can have a blistering fast bow with a 35 inch draw or a super accurate bow with your PROPER draw length.
I am 5'10 inch and always shot a 28" draw.Then I thought my draw was a little long and not shooting to my full potential and changed to a 27 inch and wow.Alot more comfy
Old 03-05-2005, 02:27 PM

sinkbox - Welcome to the forum. I've just gotten back into bowhunting after a 30+ year absence. A site I found that has a lot of great information on choosing a bow, arrows, rests, etc., including establishing draw length, is HuntersFriend.com. Not necessarily suggesting you buy anything there, although I have, but the site has a wealth of information; you just have to follow the links. I've seen bits and pieces of the same articles elsewhere, but never all together in one spot. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 PM

From one rookie to another - you found the right site!

Use a pro shop, the little extra money is worth it, and you will save in the long run because you won't be buying something you won't use. I've wasted more money buying the wrong thing without advice than by paying the pro shop's slightly higher prices.

These guys seem to agree 50 lb is plenty. About all you get from tighter draw is less drop at longer range, so far as I know.

And I am with extreme 1 on draw length. I hit better at an inch shorter draw than the "conventional" wisdom. I am 5'-10' and measure out at 28" draw. I changed to 27" after six weeks of shooting and made immediate improvement in my groups and relaxation.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:12 PM

sinkbox - I would agree with jones 123; if in doubt, go with the shorter draw length. I measure at a 27 and 1/2 inch draw and if I had to do it over again, I would go with a 24" to 27" cam rather than the 27" to 30" that I have. Next bow, I guess (and who can have enough bows?!).
Old 03-05-2005, 10:55 PM
pah

You should definately find a good shop that can get you set up with proper fitting equipment, also if you are new to archery I highly recommend that you try to find someone in your area who is an NFAA certified instructor to help get you started in the right direction with your shooting form. If your unnable to find an instuctor close by, a book which does a pretty good job covering form is: Archery steps to success by Kathleen M. Haywood and Catherine F. Lewis.

50lbs draw weight is plenty for whitetail.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: jones123
Use a pro shop, the little extra money is worth it,

I've wasted more money buying the wrong thing without advice than by paying the pro shop's slightly higher prices.
I have to take back what I said about higher prices. I just priced a Hoyt quiver at $65.00 at the "everything" sporting goods in the mall. Same quiver was at my pro shop for $60.00.

Quick Reply: First bow purchase question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.