Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 .001 this, .003 that, .005 ..........etc >

.001 this, .003 that, .005 ..........etc

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

.001 this, .003 that, .005 ..........etc

Old 03-04-2005, 08:00 AM

Default .001 this, .003 that, .005 ..........etc

Can the average bowhunter tell a difference in his/her shooting with arrows rated at .001, .003 or .005 ?

Are these numbers of any real concern to a bowhunter who simply want to smoke a kill zone, not a 12 ring?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .001 this, .003 that, .005 ..........etc

I dont think its straightness , in those small amounts , BUT , typicaly the arrows that are rated that way also have spines that are allover the place , and that has a major impact on arrow flight , and is compounded with a fixed broadhead on the front .
Old 03-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly, higher quality arrows just have better tolerances all round. Spine, weight and straightness. That's why they cost more.

Can the average shooter tell? Probably not if he's the average hunter. If he's an average 3D or target shooter he may. If above average he certainly can tell the difference, even between .005 and .003. Very few can tell the difference between .003 and .001.

And average leaves a lot of room for arguement. The AVERAGE guy can't even tell if his drawlength is even close to correct because he doesn't know what it should be. And the average don't buy things for their quality standards, but their price.

And lastly, the average shooters are not on these threads. They don't even know these forums exist.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:58 AM

Thanks guys..

BGfisher, I knew I would get some comments on the "average" guy. I should have said guy that loves to bowhunt and shoot bows, but doesn't give a rats a$$ about shooting a 12 ring....Now, that should clear it up........
Old 03-04-2005, 10:16 AM

BGfisher, I knew I would get some comments on the "average" guy. I should have said guy that loves to bowhunt and shoot bows, but doesn't give a rats a$$ about shooting a 12 ring....Now, that should clear it up........
Yes because I wouldn't call myself an exceptional shooter but not average either and I dont think i can't tell the difference between .003 and .005.

And lastly, the average shooters are not on these threads. They don't even know these forums exist.
Look around, I think there are alot more average shooters lurking around than you think. Just because someone talks up there skills on the internet doesnt mean its the truth.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's really consistency across the board

Spine spine spine. Thats most important.

weight variance, also VERY important.

If those two are excellent, moderate straightness levels are not much of a handicap for any but the best shooters or those shooting long distances (past 40 yards).

Straightness is overrated for the bowhunter, simply because its easy advertising. Your "average" person...bowhunter or not, wants something straight, not crooked...just a normal human reaction. Try and talk spine to them though and you get this [&:] look.

If the spine and weight is supa tight (and inserts/nocks/ferrules are straight) I've got no probs using .006 TIR or so arrow shafts. Unfortunately w/ carbons, generally the sloppier the straightness gets, the sloppier the spine and weight gets too. As the resin "sets up" and the tube starts to get a bit crooked on one side, well guess what? that tends to vary the spine..the wall is now a bit thinner on one side and thicker on another.

You don't neccessarily wanna buy the straightest carbon arrows possible because you NEED exacting straightness, but that's your best bet for getting a decent set of arrows period (though not always the case, unfortunately).
Old 03-04-2005, 12:06 PM

Here is my take. First archery is a mental sport above all else. You have to KNOW that arrow is going where you point it. If you believe .001 is better, then shoot it.

Second, relates to the spine as well. Carbons of lesser tolerances may be difficult to tune with broadheads. I have heard it said that it was no coincidence that the huge increase in use of expandables was around the same time as the increased use of carbon arrows. Spine was bad in the early years. It is much better now. If you want arrows that will fly well with broadheads, get tight tolerances with carbons, or just shoot aluminums. Aluminum arrows have the benefit of very consistant spine, which is why they worked so well for years with huge fixed blade broadheads.

One thing to consider, you will cull many fewer arrows for broadheads if you buy the higher quality, so how much did you really save? Just a few thoughts.

Of course, my comments are meant to be taken in general, and will not apply to every situation, but I have found them to be true in my personal experiences.

JMAC
Old 03-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad your back Jeff , like the new tag line allso , is that a quote or something that came out of your head ?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

Glad your back Jeff , like the new tag line allso , is that a quote or something that came out of your head ?
Heyya jimmy..thanx ...I don't get around here very often but I stop by every couple of weeks to see if anything piques my interest.

As for the quote..wish I could say it was mine.....however I have found it quite fitting in regards to the grand scheme of life
Old 03-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

For what it is worth, last season I was able to stack all shafts touching consistently at 20 yards, 2" to 3" groups at 30 yards, and 4" to 5" groups at 40. I was using Easton Carbon Epic's at .005 straightness, Eastons entry level hunting carbo shaft. I was able to reproduce the same groups with mechanical Vortex broadheads as well, and it was enough to kill a doe at 42 yards with a picture perfect shot placement on her. The arrow cleanly killed her within 40 yards of where she stood when it hit her.

If I was shooting competition, I would have the GT Pro's at .001 simply because that extra straitness may mean a win or loss. I strongly feel that the "average" shooter that will never shoot distances past 40 yards will be able to shoot deer killing sized groups with arrows of just about any straitness listed in your title though.

With all that said, this year I will be shooting the .003 GT XT's because I happen to have a bit more money to throw around than last year, so I wanted the better arrows. I certainly don't think I will kill more deer this way, however when I shoot 3D's this summer I may shoot slightly higher scores. I would buy the best you can justify, however .005 straightness is plenty to kill a deer every time at 40 yards with broadheads out of a well tuned bow. Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.