Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Novice Question - Can I use a no-rubber peep? >

Novice Question - Can I use a no-rubber peep?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Novice Question - Can I use a no-rubber peep?

Old 02-28-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Novice Question - Can I use a no-rubber peep?

As a newbie, I am intrigued by these peeps that don't need the tubing. Do I need special bowstring or something like that? Is there some other disadvantage? I don't understand why everybody using a peep wouldn't have one that doesn't need tubing.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Novice Question - Can I use a no-rubber peep?

There are a number of peeps out there that dont have the tubing.

IMHO if you want to use a peep then get one that does not have the tubing that tubing can and will break its a wonder that a lot of guys out there still have both eyes.

No special string need for a tubeless peep.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

I guess the oly reason I don't use one of these is ,that at times one of the sets of the three string bundles hinders my view.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best setup for me is a 3/16s true peep , with a string that wont twist .
Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A matter of personal choice, IMHO.
I use both--when the weather turns nasty here, minus 20 to 30 and below, I use a peep with the tubing. It's much nosier compared to a no-tube peep, drops a few fps more than the no-tube peep--but I'll get it to line up exactly under extreme conditions.
Pine Ridge Archery makes a good Silicon tubing, I change mine 'regularily' it the hope of preventing the tubing breaking at the worst possible time--I try my best to get the better of Mr. Murphy.[8D]
The no-tube peep is alot more silent, works fine-- providing the string doesn't continue to stretch on ya, will gain a few fps (not a big deal)---
But watch it when the temperature dips, especially if you bow is hanging for 4-5 hours in frigid temperatures, contraction takes place and things are not the same anymore.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:51 AM

i use one of the peeps pictured in the first post. i only have problems with the strings rotating into view if i close one eye. shooting with both eyes open blurrs the string and you dont see it. since i love shooting with both eyes open, that string rotation thing is not a problem.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I'd get rid of the tube and put a Fletcher Tru peep on ,Ausie said it best ,the tube can be a pain if it break's or come's off while your getting ready to shoot ,I had to replace my tube at least once a season and it still would come of every once in a while .I use the tru peep for now ,but I'm seriously thinking of going to a no-peep by Timberline Archery.

nubo
Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 AM

I had one of the peeps you described. It was fine for a while but then when i needed it most the dang strings would get in my view and hinder my shot. With the tubing you know at least that the peep will always be aligned. If you are afraid of the tubing snaping all you have to do is inspect it for cracks.