Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 My First 3D Shoot in over 10 Years >

My First 3D Shoot in over 10 Years

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My First 3D Shoot in over 10 Years

Old 02-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Default My First 3D Shoot in over 10 Years

I am sure that not many care but I thought I would share my experience from yesterday. I used to be into archery for a few years before my 11-year-old was born. I then got out of archery except for continuing to bow hunt for deer every year (and only shooting a month or so during the season). This year I have been bitten by the bug again and have been excited to shoot some 3D after buying a BowTech Allegiance.

My 11-year-old and I went to our first local shoot this weekend. I entered MBR, he is in Cub and we went to warm up. After shooting some 2" and 3" groups at 30 and 40 yards we headed to the 1st target. A down bear that was out there a ways, my boy even said, "wow dad, your first target is pretty far". I guessed for 37 yards and when my arrow was about half way there it was dropping like a rock. It ended up catching the belly with less than an inch to spare. I paced it off and sure enough it was around 43 yards. I honestly thought maybe this first target was set far as sort of a novelty thing but it was par for the course. The average shot was around 39 or 40 yards with only about 5 or 6 of the 30 shots less than 35 yards. The distances were similar to Nelsonville from years ago but I have never seen a local shoot this tough. I was really struggling with the distances for a while but about half way through I started to get a feel again and only shot one "5" in the last 15 targets after shooting several in the first 15. I had no misses but my boy made up for it with 5 or 6 misses and we were sharing my ACC's, time to buy him some arrows!

I ended up with a miserable 250 points out of 330 but I was the only person in MBR! 1st and 2nd in Open was 265 and 260 so my score was not as bad as I thought, especially if I doubled my 2nd half score I would have had 266. I asked if there were usually more MBR shooters and they said there are usually some but HC is by far their biggest class with Open next. Looking at the results on the IBO website I see this is true at the Nationals as well. Last year MBR averaged about 130 shooters while HC had over 300 and Open had just under 300 per Triple Crown shoot. I guess that made up my mind about whether to shoot MBR or HC since I want some competition to shoot against. The other thing I like about HC is that distance judging will not be as critical with a max around 35 yards. I think this will help me because the actual shot accuracy will be as important as judging yardage. At 40 to 45 yards if you're not within 2 or 3 yards each time it doesn't matter how well you can shoot. I shot Open class years ago and shoot better with a scope but I want to shoot pins now to be more similar to a hunting setup.

It was great to be able to use binoculars, as back then the IBO did not allow them while the ASA did. Just being able to see if the 10 ring is shifted due to an angle or lean will be a big help.

Overall I ate some humble pie but I was glad to see my closest local shoot is a tough one. I hated years ago when the local shoots put all the targets between 20 and 25 yards. That is more realistic for hunting but for a guy who wants to shoot the Nationals it was no help. I ordered a range finder to help practice judging yardage and I will be fletching some arrows for HC to be ready for next time. Now all I need is some warmer weather because shooting in 33 degree weather was bearable but will be more fun when it warms up.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My First 3D Shoot in over 10 Years

Glad to see you made it out[8D] Most of the clubs stretch the targets out around here too. A couple set up an easy course but for the most part they make them challenging. How long before those qualifier shoots we can meet up at? I look forward to shooting with you.

After shooting some 2" and 3" groups at 30 and 40 yards we headed to the 1st target.
You will be banging some foam this summer with groups like that. Good shooting.

A few buddies and I shot Lake Milton yesterday morning. It was a blast, rather cold but a good time none the less. I shot a 291 11X. I hit two 5's and five 8's. I shot a 31 yard wolf for 20 yards for 1 one my 5's. Just wasn't paying enough attention with the yardage there. The other "5" I just twitched er' pretty hard while I released. Not only was it a 5 it was a BAD 5

Wasn't that bad of a showing it was 9 degrees when we got there[] It was rather fun shooting in all of that cold weather gear on though

I shot 11 down on the front and 2 up on the back. Those 5's on the front were killer[&:]

I won't know where I placed until their next shoot.