Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What do I check for before I use my carbons >

What do I check for before I use my carbons

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do I check for before I use my carbons

Old 02-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default What do I check for before I use my carbons

Sorry for the silly question but I'm new to shooting carbons. I'm using a standard riser Darton compound set at about 60lbs. I just bought a dozen terminator carbonsWhat should I look for before shooting these lightening fast arrows? They are the best arrows I've ever shot.
Chuck
Old 02-26-2005, 04:02 PM
pah

Default RE: What do I check for before I use my carbons

Check for any nicks or cracks along the entire length of the shaft, especially after shooting a tight goup and slamming arrows together. With the factory nocks if you shoot one off it will probably crack the end of the shaft.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:09 PM

I like to twist and bend mine at the same time to see if I can hear anything ie. cracking sound. If I hear it I won't shoot it without someone else checking it as well. Better safe than sorry you don't want one blowing up on you.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Dominant Buck

How can one blow up on you ? I'm only shooting the old Fred Bear type bow.
Chuck
Old 02-26-2005, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

How can one blow up on you ? I'm only shooting the old Fred Bear type bow.
Chuck
Only? Hey, don't kid yourself! Those are great shooters. Actually, it's not uncommon to have one explode. They develop weak spots, like, after they've been hit together several times, rocks , trees, anything. If they have a split that goes unoticed, they can, and will explode upon release. Remeber that the arrow flexes upon release, and all it needs is a weakspot to exploit.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, I shot some yesterday . I bought 12 arrows but I'll be sure not to fire more than 4 at a target in one round .I'll also inspect them before shooting them. They sure do shoot fast and straight though. I had been using some real fat aluminum arrows until I found a Redhead carbon Fury while hunting. I put a 100 grain field point on it and tried it out. I could not believe the accuracy and speed. I contacted Bass pro to buy some but neither Bass Pro or Cabelas will cut them down to 31" so I got some Terminators from Sports Authority. They were the same size and shot real good too.
Chuck
Old 02-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Thanks, I shot some yesterday . I bought 12 arrows but I'll be sure not to fire more than 4 at a target in one round .I'll also inspect them before shooting them. They sure do shoot fast and straight though. I had been using some real fat aluminum arrows until I found a Redhead carbon Fury while hunting. I put a 100 grain field point on it and tried it out. I could not believe the accuracy and speed. I contacted Bass pro to buy some but neither Bass Pro or Cabelas will cut them down to 31" so I got some Terminators from Sports Authority. They were the same size and shot real good too.
Chuck

!.) Robin Hood is fictional
2.) Robin Hood never plunked down his own cash for arrows.
3.) Even a fictional character didn't shoot his own arrows.

You don't have to hit the same spot. You have to hit the spot your aiming at. Don't drill your own arrows. If you do drill them do it for money, you know, like a trick shooter. Now you have something to aim for.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Genraly YOU BEND THE ARROWS SLIGHTLY AND LISTEN FOR A POPING NOISE , AND LOOK FOR CRACK AND SPLINTERS , The terminators are a pretty heavy carbon shaft , with thicker walls than most other carbon arrows
Old 02-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the encouragement. They cost me 102.00
Chuck
Old 02-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also look for some colour Blemish's such as a spot that look's discolouredfrom the rest of the shaft , this could be a weak point in the shaft .You should check them when ever your arrow's make contact with each other while shooting at your target.

nubo

Quick Reply: What do I check for before I use my carbons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.