Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Care

Old 02-26-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Bow Care

Any tips on cleaning a bow?

I have two used ones recently bought for my sons and they have garage and/or bow shop dust in all the nooks and crannys. I entertained putting them in a light soapy bath, but don't like the idea of dunking gear in water, even though I'm sure they can handle rain and snow when hunting. My gun gets rained on, but I wouldn't dunk it in water.

I don't know what the moving bow parts are lub'd with. Will water mess it up?
Old 02-26-2005, 08:39 AM
pah

Default RE: Bow Care

I'd just wipe them down good with a damp cloth and let them dry. When I take mine apart I lube the axles and limb pivots with a light coating of white lithium grease and that seems to work pretty good. Make sure the strings and cables are in good shape before you shoot them.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:24 AM

Default RE: Bow Care

You do not mention how old they are. I would suggest replacing the strings if the strings are over 3 yrs old. You do not know what kind of use they had. Also, I would have a proshop check them over to make sure there are no problems with limbs before they are shot. I would hate for a bow to fail and injure my child. Good Luck and Good Shooting!