Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 26 inch draw Defender >

26 inch draw Defender

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

26 inch draw Defender

Old 02-25-2005, 12:20 PM

Default 26 inch draw Defender

WE shot the wife's Defender through the chrono today At 61 pounds and 26 inch draw it did 280 fps with a 301.2 grain arrow, at 55 pounds it did 269 fps and at 50 pounds it went 257. Shooting a 340 grain arrow it did 255 at 55 pounds and 247 fps at 50 piunds.
This is the same speed at 60/26 as her '04 Patriot VFT with the 301.2 grain arrow. With the 340 grain arrow, the Defender was 5 fps faster than the Patriot VFT with both bows set on 55 pounds
The brace height on the Defender is 7 5/8 inches compared to 7 inches exactly on the Patriot VFT.
This little bow is screamin'
Old 02-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 26 inch draw Defender

Hey, WHO shot the bow? Can your wife honestly shoot 60#? If she can then I say I never want her mad at me. That being said, those are so pretty good numbers.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a 60# Defender with #6 cams (28"). It was the only 60#er the shop was getting. So I'm waiting on #4s. Shooting it at 1" too short, I'm very impressed with the groups. About all you hear is the thunk of the arrow hitting the target. I'm shooting 385 gr arrows , BTW. I'll chrono it with the new cams installed. BC is 292.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

the Defender was 5 fps faster than the Patriot VFT with both bows set on 55 pounds

It amazes me that people get excited over such a small increase in speed. I really don't mean that in a negative way and I'm glad you like the bow...........it's just that as far as speed goes it would take a lot more then 5 fps to even get my attention. I doubt anyone could even notice that small a change without a chrono.

I have yet to shoot a Defender..........looking forward to it though
Old 02-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think what gimp is "excited" about is that the bows shot the same at 300 gr. But with the heavier arrow, the Defender gained 5 fps. which is what we're seeing with the E cams. More efficiency at shorter draw lengths, lower draw weights, and with heavier arrows. And the Defender comes with an extra 5/8" brace height.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:38 AM

That's right Phil,, plus an inch less reflex in the riser and super flat nock travel means easier tuning. The 2 inches less ATA means that it will be just a bit handier in the turkey blind too

I did all the shooting through the chrono and then we left it at 56 pounds for her to shoot some with So far, she's very happy with it!!
Old 02-26-2005, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: pdq 5oh

I think what gimp is "excited" about is that the bows shot the same at 300 gr. But with the heavier arrow, the Defender gained 5 fps. which is what we're seeing with the E cams. More efficiency at shorter draw lengths, lower draw weights, and with heavier arrows. And the Defender comes with an extra 5/8" brace height.
I realize that..........but it still boils down to being 5 fps more efficient. Like I said.......most likely not even noticable without a chrono.

The more brace height is nice.

I just can't get worked up over 5 fps.................20 fps and I start to take notice.

I can get an extra 5 fps by trimming my cat whiskers.

The bow sounds really nice and I'm sure his wife is gonna have a blast shooting it and that's all that really matters.

I just haven't seen anything from the new bows that interests me..........mostly I'm sure because I already have a Patriot.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a BowTech but I do understand the point here. It isn't just 5 fps that is causing the exicitement. Even if the speed was the same, it is overall a more user friendly setup. The 5 fps is a bonus one wouldn't anticipate given the specs of each set up.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:25 PM

My wife's main consern was that her new bow wouldn't be as fast as her beloved Patriot (did I mention she REALLY loves her Patriot) because of the taller brace height. She's been a bowhunter for 22 years now and realizes the need for adequate penetration on game, plus her draw weight and draw length are not the best for high performance. She's just like the rest of us, looking for the best combination for hunting and it looks like the Defender in her draw weight and length will live up to her needs very well
Old 02-27-2005, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

My wife's main consern was that her new bow wouldn't be as fast as her beloved Patriot (did I mention she REALLY loves her Patriot) because of the taller brace height. She's been a bowhunter for 22 years now and realizes the need for adequate penetration on game, plus her draw weight and draw length are not the best for high performance. She's just like the rest of us, looking for the best combination for hunting and it looks like the Defender in her draw weight and length will live up to her needs very well

I am thrilled she has a bow she loves........I am draw length challenged as well and that is a big reason why I shoot a Bowtech.

My original point is I just don't see a difference of 5 fps meaning anything at all. It isn't gonna be what makes or breaks her success or lack of in the woods.......any deer killed by the Defender would have fallen to the Patriot as well.......all things being equal.

Your original post seemed like the speed was a major reason for all the smiley faces so I was surprised to see such a small increase in fps was behind all the excitement.

That is VERY cool that your wife has been bowhunting for 22 years.

Have fun with it.

Quick Reply: 26 inch draw Defender

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.