Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Technical Q's - Setting up new string and cables 04 Patriot >

Technical Q's - Setting up new string and cables 04 Patriot

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Technical Q's - Setting up new string and cables 04 Patriot

Old 02-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Technical Q's - Setting up new string and cables 04 Patriot

So I bought a new Vapor Trail VTX string and cable setup for my 04 Patriot. I have worked on a lot of other bows in the past, however never a single cam and never a Bowtech. I am fairly technical and would like to think I have higher than average mechanical abilities, so I really want to do this on my own. My questions are as follows.............

When attempting to get the bow in tune in regards to appropriate string to cam gap (.305 on my patriot), brace height, ATA, and tiller, do you guys tend to make the twist adjustments to the string itself, or do you also add/remove twists to the cable? Any detailed explanations why you do what you do would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Technical Q's - Setting up new string and cables 04 Patriot

Personally, I do a little of each, and then fine tune one at a time.
But with a new string and cable set up I'd shoot the bow a good 100-150 shots before even fooling with fine tuning. I know they advertise "no-stretch", but I like to remove any doubt before getting everything just right.

Good luck with it.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:45 AM

Change one at a time, bringing the cam/ATA/brace height to spec each time also.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

WWAG why would you mess with the other if you were able to get things in spec just twisting one?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:57 AM

RJ wants to put on a new set of string and cable on his bow. I'd recommend to change the cable first, bringing it into spec with the old string and then replace the string and bringing it into spec. Maybe even better would be to shoot the bow a few hundred shots to get the new cable settled in before changing out the string
Old 02-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info WWAG, much appreciated. Any other people have input? I think this is good advice and it confirms what I was planning on doing. I was going to do the string first though. Any specific reason why the cable should be done first or is that simply your preference?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:01 PM

Just that the cable is less trouble to set up (no nock point, string silencers, peep, etc.) and it will keep you shooting more,,, sooner
Old 02-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

Just that the cable is less trouble to set up (no nock point, string silencers, peep, etc.) and it will keep you shooting more,,, sooner

Good stuff, thanks very much for your input.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:17 PM

i agree with wwag 100%. i will add that after your cable is shot in and you put your string on, if you have to add more than 3 twists to your string, take it off the bow, hook 1 end loop around a hook and then pull on the string from the other end. this will spread the twists over the whole string instead of them ending up on just one side of the wheel. your string will end up much more stable imho if the twists are even along the length of it.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

i agree with wwag 100%. i will add that after your cable is shot in and you put your string on, if you have to add more than 3 twists to your string, take it off the bow, hook 1 end loop around a hook and then pull on the string from the other end. this will spread the twists over the whole string instead of them ending up on just one side of the wheel. your string will end up much more stable imho if the twists are even along the length of it.
Good info gibblet, much appreciated. I was trying to think of a way to get the twists even along the length of the string/cable. Now I just have to wait for Vapor Trail to get the cable/string here, I have all sorts of new tools that I need to get the bow setup and the only thing I am waiting on now is the new string and one of those harbor freight mini saws to finish some shafts I have here. I hate waiting for parts and am extremely impatient when it comes to this waiting game.

Quick Reply: Technical Q's - Setting up new string and cables 04 Patriot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.