Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead noise

Old 02-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Broadhead noise

I shot my new Slick Tricks today and I heard a whooosh kinda sound as they flew to the target. I'm shooting these at about 260fps on Carbon Express Selects with Blazer vanes (some offset). Is there any way to get rid of the noise? Should I refletch my arrows using the same fletching but with no offset or helical? Will Bh flight suffer THAT much with no spin? Will the noise spook game? I'd hate to have to spend more money just to TRY some other bh's. [:@]
Old 02-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead noise

I was having the same problem with small broadheads. I went back to muzzys and they are silent... go figure.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:31 PM

You can try fletching them straight but I don't think that will quiet your arrow. I dont think it's the fletching. Wait for bigbulls or Buckeye to chime in, they have had great success with the slick tricks.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard for me to believe that it is the BH making the noise but I have no experience with the BH you mention. I would sooner suspect the fletches. I'm assuming you didn't get the noise with your field point. Is it possible that your BH is lighter than your FT? If you are getting an increase in speed you could be getting a "fluttering" in your fletches at the higher speed. I've seen this when using the same fletch and going to a lighter arrow. If this is what is going on, the fix of course is probably a stiffer fletch. Just guessing...
Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Contenderman

I shot my new Slick Tricks today and I heard a whooosh kinda sound as they flew to the target. I'm shooting these at about 260fps on Carbon Express Selects with Blazer vanes (some offset). Is there any way to get rid of the noise? Should I refletch my arrows using the same fletching but with no offset or helical? Will Bh flight suffer THAT much with no spin? Will the noise spook game? I'd hate to have to spend more money just to TRY some other bh's. [:@]
I had the exact experience with 100 grain slick tricks. I tried different slick trick heads on different arrows and it was the same. Definitly the broadhead. I was shooting a 410 grain Gold Tip XT camo hunter arrow at 10% FOC with blazer vanes out of my 70 # bow at 275 fps. I switched to muzzy's and the "humming" was gone. I also shot all the other different type of broadheads I have and all were silent. Having said that, I actually shot a deer with it the "humming" slick tricks and, if anything, it may have made the deer curious since it was looking right at me and didn't move. The "humming" is interesting. It's got to be an aerodynamic vibration peculiar to this head's design at around these speeds.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my take. Same BH's same fletch.
I believe the noise is the fletch correcting the flight path of the arrow or the BH not flying perfectly true through the air.
The reason why-
As I was tweaking my bow I could increase or decrease the sound the arrow made while flying through the air by adjusting my center shot in and out.

If the Center shot was off the wind noise was greatly increased.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:28 AM

I don't think it is your fletching. Blazers are very quiet.

unless of course you have a loose one or a ripped one[&:]
Old 02-15-2005, 08:08 PM

Dave, I will try messing with my centershot tomorrow, but I have another question. Won't messing with the center shot to get rid of the noise, put my bow out of tune? I tuned my bow for the arrows before I put the Slick Tricks on them, so now if I move the rest it will be out of tune, right? I just don't get it? Is it normal to have to tinker with this stuff this much just to get a good combination of performance and equipment?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Here's my take. Same BH's same fletch.
I believe the noise is the fletch correcting the flight path of the arrow or the BH not flying perfectly true through the air.
The reason why-
As I was tweaking my bow I could increase or decrease the sound the arrow made while flying through the air by adjusting my center shot in and out.

If the Center shot was off the wind noise was greatly increased.

It very well could be the combination of broadhead and vanes. The vanes may be spinning the broadheads at just the right,or wrong, rpm that is generating a harmonic vibration, or a vortex "signature." All my arrows were fletched helical. I would be curious to see if they still "hummed" with blazers fletched straight.

There was no noise when shooting all the other broadheads I tried so it appears that the broadhead is the common denominator. I don't have access to my gear or I'd test my theory. [&:]
Old 02-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before you spend more money on new broadhead try this. Take one of your arrows install your broadheads. When they are tight on the arrow, look to see if they are directly opposite of your fletching. If not, try another one until you have one that is opposite. Shoot and see if the noise is gone. Each broadhead will end up at a different position when installed do to where the thread position was when fletched. Try different broadheads on one arrow until they match. This seems to help reduce noise.

Quick Reply: Broadhead noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.