Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Homemade targets using "Great Stuff" >

Homemade targets using "Great Stuff"

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Homemade targets using "Great Stuff"

Old 02-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Homemade targets using "Great Stuff"

I've heard of people making homemade targets using that instant foam in a can such as "Great Stuff" ,,i would like to make a fairly large target about a 32 gallon size,,i have a 32 gallon rectangular plastic garbage can that i thought i'd line with plastic to act as a mold release after spraying it full of the foam,,Has anyone ever tried this technique using the instant foam, and off hand would anyone know just about how many cans of that stuff i would need to do this or would it be about the same price or cheaper just to go down to my local archery shop and get theirs for about $15 (about a 2 foot square) is what the shop sells theirs for.??
Old 02-05-2005, 11:30 PM

Default RE: Homemade targets using "Great Stuff"

I use spray foam to repair duck decoys. I can fill up 2 standard mallards with 1 can. I believe it would take quite a few cans to fill up a 32 gallon container.

I've made decent taggets by stuffing a burlap bag full of shrink wrap; free from a grocery store or distributer.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

it would be a lot cheaper to go buy a target that would take a lot of cans at over 3.00 per can will cost a fortune to fill up something that large'
find some insulation crew that uses that foam insulation to fill it for you probably free.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:34 AM

I used the 3-D REPAIR KIT (CLUB), and made a turkey target from a decoy. It worked great and stops the arrow just like my deer target. I paid $20.00 for the kit and also repaired some other tagerts with it.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a pic of my home made target. It cost around $30 to replace the core on it, but it last me for about six months or so shooting broadheads only. If you are interested, do a search, and there is a forum out there that explains more.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've made quite a few home jobs.

My favorite is a nice-sized cardboard box filled with old rugs, clothes, blankets and towels. Make sure none of the ingredients are rubber-backed, because it makes for tough arrow removal.

The shrink-wrap works awesome as well. Just fill up a burlap sack with balls of shrink wrap. Very light and will stop a freight train.

These are only good for field points. One of the foam-type is recommended for broadheads, b/c you can't get a broadhead out of these ones.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a burlap sack and hang it in the closet. When you get home from grocery shopping put the plastic bags into the burlap sack. When it gets full enough seal the bag and start shooting. It might take a while but it will be FREE. To speed things up save all your plastic bags ,bread bags etc. or shrink wrap to add to it.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 AM

I tried it. I was completely disappointed. I even tried the formula for large holes. I've used the stuff in the past for all kinds of jobs, and was expecting huge expansion. Something about spraying it in a box retards expansion. It just did not get very big at all. In addition, the holes punched by arrows do not self heal. I would say look at something else.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:29 PM

yeah i tried too...it sucked. Took alot more "stuff" than I thought. And the center never would try completely. What does that mean? two things. at 40yards my arrows still went up to an inch of the fletching (and I shoot a mild bow, mathews feather-max @60) AND once you got your arrows back they had a nice yellow gooey coating that looked like it belonged in a Ghost Busters sequel

it sucked

did i mention it sucked?....'cause it sucked!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

yeah i tried too...it sucked. Took alot more "stuff" than I thought. And the center never would try completely. What does that mean? two things. at 40yards my arrows still went up to an inch of the fletching (and I shoot a mild bow, mathews feather-max @60) AND once you got your arrows back they had a nice yellow gooey coating that looked like it belonged in a Ghost Busters sequel

it sucked

did i mention it sucked?....'cause it sucked!

Quick Reply: Homemade targets using "Great Stuff"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.