Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 string hitting arm >

string hitting arm

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string hitting arm

Old 01-29-2005, 06:11 AM

Default string hitting arm

I shoot a mathews Ultra 2 bow - short - fast - kiling allot of deer withit.

I bought it inch shorter to help with cold weather hunting, so the string wont hit my arm. My draw is really closer to a 29in, but I am still deadly with it at 28.

No matter how I hold the bow, however, I find i hit my jacket on my hodling arm - and I am holding poperly, not torquing the bow. Does anyone have the same issue. I am thinking that the string of this bow is so close to the riser, that it you simply have more chance of hitting, where as another bow that has the srtring a bit furher away from the riser would not.

Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: string hitting arm

Yep i do . I use 3 elastic straps around my sleive to eliminate this
Old 01-29-2005, 06:49 AM
voz
Fork Horn

I used to hit my arm with the string, until I changed the way I held the bow....I'm not saying it's the right way to hold a bow but I hold mine with my index finger and my thumb...the palm of my hand facing downward. Anyway, that's what I did...good luck...hope you find the answer
Old 01-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kah1993, give us an idea of your 'height'--??
Usually if the string is hitting the arm the draw length on the bow could be too long. The form of holding the bow does and will affect the shot, but in most cases incorrect DL is the culprit.
How far back on the side of the face does your release hand go? You really don't want your hand, using any kind of release, going beyond the ear.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I looked the bow up and saw that the brace height is 6 1/8. With a draw length of 29 inches your power stroke is pretty long. Thats how they get those speeds up. I had a bow years ago that was kinda like the bow you have. I had to shoot it way different than I shot my others before it. I had to rotate my elbow out in order to get it to shoot without hitting my arm. You can use an arm guard but keep and eye on the string if you do. It could get a little frazzled from hitting a more solid object.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO,the amount of reflex a bow has is the main culprit in why some bows are arm slappers.Of course,brace is also part of the problem and without absolutely perfect form,will hit your arm.

The bow arm should be rotated so that the forearm is rotated down and away from the string path.

Draw length being too long can cause the string to hit you but is not the only reason and imo not the biggest reason people hit their arm.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:37 AM

Are you holding the bow with a locked or slightly bent arm? Or is this just due to bulky clothing? More of a concern, to me, anyway, is that you are shooting 28 inches instead of 29. Bad habits are made that way, and could actually be part of the problem. A bow that is set to fit you correctly could make all the difference in the world. Now if it is a bulky clothing problem, a compression sleeve could be the ticket.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I am5"10 - and am shooting the bow an inch shorter than if I was not going to hunt and only shoot competition. The draw is at 28 in, when I actualy would be more comfortable aot 29.

My arm is bent - more so than if I had a 29 inch draw. I tend to think the brace height ispart of the problem. I have tried moving my arm in different positions, but once the weather gets cold and I have to wear bigger jackets, the problem kicks in. I dont use an arm guard, as i feel the softer jacket does not affect the arrow flight - usually. It's one of those things I would like to correct for next year. I killed 6 deer this year, 2 nice bucks in that both gros in the 120's, but got lucky on the 2nd one as I hit it further back, and blame it on the string hitting my jacket (although buck fever could also be a part of it)

Anyway - thanks for the comments - I am going to spend some time at a local bow shop and see what I come up with - hate to have to move to a new bow - this set up is definitly a deer killer - but the bow is only as good as I can shoot it
Old 01-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kah, You have too much of your hand in the grip. Without a bow in you hand, raise you arm straight out like you are holding the bow. Turn your hand up like you want someone to stop. Now, while your arm is still extended, bring your hand down so it's in line with your arm. This is the correct position of your hand and arm when at full draw. The grip of the bow should be down the center pad of your hand under your thumb. It will take some practice, but your groups will tighten up and the string will freely pass you arm.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get an arm guard and put it on with the jacket, this will "squish" the jacket in a bit and might solve your problem.

I only wear my arm guard when I put on the 3rd sweat shirt, until then its never a problem.

--Bob

Quick Reply: string hitting arm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.