Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

oops---Dry Fire

Old 01-19-2005, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default oops---Dry Fire

I dried fired my bow while I was testing a new shooting glove. I checked for cracks in the limbs, twisted cams and pulled the string lightly no wierd noises. I tried to fire it and it works great seems to be no damage. Maybe the limb savers did thier job. Has anyone had damage done to a dry fired bow? What do you check to make sure no damage was done?
Old 01-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: oops---Dry Fire

Watch your cam's rotation just to make sure there is no slight wobble ,you could have a slightly bent axle .You might of gotten lucky this time .I wouldn't try it twice next time your string and cable's might come apart.

nubo
Old 01-19-2005, 10:48 AM

who me, nope, never done that, nothing to see here. keep an eye on your limbs, just because its not showing up yet, it doesn't mean it won't.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Shot league on Tuesday - no problems, but I'll keep at eye on the limbs and cam alignment. Thanks for the suggestions. Oh buy the way, it wasn't me that dry fired the bow, it was a friend that was too embarresed to ask (wink wink). har har...
Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM

does dry fire mean shoot with no arrow...? i have heard never to release the bow without an arrow in it, but never really understood what difference it matters.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your very fortunate deertale. Just before a field/hunter target round I was stretching at bit. I pulled back and put the pin on the target and BAM, a brain fart and I released. The string tore one of the teardrops (didn't hear that phrase for a long time) off and there were pieces all over the woods. Luckily there was no damage to the limbs or riser, but it did a job on my sight and my ego.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dry Firing is one reason that I will not pull back a bow without an arrow on it. I learned the hard way years ago. Glad to hear everything is OK.