Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Guess what I bought today at Basspro! >

Guess what I bought today at Basspro!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Guess what I bought today at Basspro!

Old 01-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Guess what I bought today at Basspro!

Great heading eh guy's ,just to keep you in a little suspense .Today I checked out our new BassPro shop near Toronto ,and although I was so impressed with this store ,I wasn't too impressed with the guy's running the Archery shop,it was hard to get help and they only had 1 guy working in the archery section .I found some of the prices to be very good and other's I thought might be a little high ,I never made it to the fishing and camping section of the store because I didn't want to miss anything in the Archery and hunting so i checked these section's out piece by piece .I arrived there about 1100.am and never left till 4.00pm but regardless I thought this to be a great store for my need's and I'll be back in the very near future . I went there looking for a new treestand and that's exactly what I bought, this was one of the section's that i thought the price's were great .Well I ended up bringing home a new Summit Viper X4 {$344.00},since they didn't have the smaller version which I felt was all that i would need since I'm not a very big guy, but I do like to have lot's of room and comfort in a stand so I took the last Summit they had in the store beside's thier demo.
Can anyone really tell me what the difference's are with the Viper and the Viper x4 and since I'm not a big guy will I be wishing that I got the Viper over the x4. These stand's this year come with the rapid climb stirup's and a 4 point harness ,Now I'm going to put that paint job on it that I seen posted this past week ,and I've got all season to do it .

I also bought some Redhead hunting sock's and a new pair of RedHead hunting glove's for archery ,the cloth's section had soooo much selection that I couldn't look anymore or I'd have been coming home with another set of gear .But I was able to restrain myself and head right back over to find the stand that i wanted .

One last thing was the tank's of fish and all of the mount's were worth the trip on it's own . I have never been to a store like this and I'm definetly glad that it's only an hour away .If Cabela's is anything like BassPro I hope someday to be able to visit it as well. BassPro is remarkable and I think everyone should check it out even if you don't hunt or fish .

nubo
Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guess what I bought today at Basspro!

Actually if you're comparing the original Viper to the Viper X4, there is no difference in size. The X4 is just the 2004 version with updates. The updates include the climbing stirrups, the new cable lock system with the pull down levers and the bends in the arms the cables go in and a footrest now comes standard.

Summit does however build a little larger stand called the Goliath, which is identical to the Viper X4 except the seat frame is a little bigger. The plateforms are all identical though.

You purchased a good one. I have tried a couple different stands the last few years and I can't think of a better one.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzyman!

Well now I got to put it together ,this ought to be lot's of fun.Thank's muzzyman it sure look's to be a well built stand and I can't wait to try it out.I'm glad someone was able to clarify the x4 part of this for me .

Thank's again

nubo
Old 01-14-2005, 02:09 PM

I wasn't too impressed with the guy's running the Archery shop,it was hard to get help and they only had 1 guy working in the archery section .
I have the same problem with the one here in the DFW area. Great products at a reasonable price, but I definately will not let them work on my bow!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey congrats on the stand, may you have many years of productive and enjoyable seasons from its platform.

I wasn't too impressed with the guy's running the Archery shop,
That has been my experience also at either of the places you have mentioned. I think for the average guy it isn't a big deal, but for those of us who are "archery junkies", common knowledge is just not good enough.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:41 PM

I thought maybe you bought a "nu bo"
Old 01-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL Rack Tracker,I'd like to buy a nother nu bo but I have my doubt's this seaon.

nubo
Old 01-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I am a big Bass Pro fan too and recently purchased my first bow there. I had a very knowledgeable pro at the counter who did a great job educating me and assembling the bow. However, a buddy of mine went to the same store and had a different person at the archery counter and he totally botched the assembly. My buddy took it back to the same guy that assembled my bow and he had to take it apart and start all over. The best part about the Bass Pro for me is it is only 8 miles away from my home.

Cabela's is a much more impressive shopping experience...larger stores with tremendous wild animal displays. I would go to Cabela's more often but it takes me 1 1/2 to get there and 10 minutes to get to Bass Pro. I'm lucky that they are both so close.