Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Velcro on releases, does it have a place in the woods? >

Velcro on releases, does it have a place in the woods?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Velcro on releases, does it have a place in the woods?

Old 12-19-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Velcro on releases, does it have a place in the woods?

Does velcro really have a place in our gear when in the woods? I hate the velcro on my release because it is so noisy. Does anyone else have this problem? I want to get a new release with a buckle, but can't find one in my price range. I currently have a Tru Fire Patriot JR.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:38 AM

Default RE: Velcro on releases, does it have a place in the woods?

Like everything else, you make do with what you have until you can get something else you prefer. I have a few releases and my favorite is a True Ball that happens to have a velcro strap. I have buckle strap releases but don't use them, because I don't really like the trigger position.

My velcro release has never caused me a problem. I put in on at the truck and take it off at the truck. The caliper mechanism folds under my sleeve, so I don't even know it's there if I want it out of the way. The only real critical aspect that can cause a problem, is getting the velcro in the exact same position each time you put it on. I took care of that by putting marks on the strap to show exactly where to press the velcro down. Once you get used to them and learn how to attach them, they are no problem. There is no reason to be putting the strap on in a situation where the noise might cause a problem. Even if you did, I doubt that type of noise would cause much concern by a deer that is 100 yards or more away.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The simple answer is to get rid of the release completely and shoot with your fingers. I hate hunting with a release.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

The simple answer is to get rid of the release completely and shoot with your fingers. I hate hunting with a release.
Easy answer.

I've shot fingers for more years than I shot a release and agree that sometimes the velcro strap can be a pain but its also more adjustable. Not having my release on while fastening my climber to a tree cost me a 25 yard shot at a 140-150 class buck this year........but thats my fault.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have releases with both Velcro and Buckle straps but the Velcro is the more comfortable and more snug fitting, not to mention more easily adjustable when putting on over bulky sleeves and gloves. I don't think I've ever had a scenerio where a Velcro strap is gonna cost me a deer. I think you worry/think to much?
Old 12-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont use releases that has any kind of strap.
I either use a scotts Grip or a carter 4 finger 3D Hunter
Old 12-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Scott Mongoose with a buckle strap, but for hunting I use the Tru Fire Patriot, with the velcro. I have it loose in my pocket and put it on once on stand, takes 5 seconds. I shoot just as well with it out to 35 yards and if I lose it in the woods, I just buy another for $15 dollars at Galyans. And I agree with Cornfed, it is more adjustable for hunting applications.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't see how velcro is noisy in the woods.

Once I put my release on at the truck it stays on until I get back to my truck. I don't take it on and off while I am sitting in my stand hunting. Unless I am walking back in the dark then I put everything back in my back pack.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:21 AM

I noticed my velcro strap on my release was noisey in the woods. When I would draw my bow I could here the velcro fibers crackling. I now shoot a buckle strap. I like it because it is silent and is fastened the same everytime. With the velcro it always seemed to be to loose or too tight, it was just a pain to get it where I was used to having. With a buckle it is hard to mess up.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a tru-ball with velcro, and like some have said I put it on and take it off at the truck. As far as not using a release, What would you play with all day?? I must pull that trigger 1000 times a day. of course i'm fidgity by nature and yes I keep it out of sight.

Quick Reply: Velcro on releases, does it have a place in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.