Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow for the MRS. >

Bow for the MRS.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow for the MRS.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow for the MRS.

My wife decided she would like to try bow shooting and probably hunting and I would like some input from you guys in the know. I shoot a AR and like it quite well I was thinking AR or mathews but I'm not made of money however I do believe in getting Good equipment from the start. I have seen some bows by kodiak outdoors and like the looks of them but know nothing else about them. My wife is 5 ft. tall and I would like to set her up pulling around 50 lbs max. any input would be great as I'm not very tech. oriented on bows.
THANKS
Old 12-11-2004, 09:17 PM

Default RE: Bow for the MRS.

My x had great luck with the PSE Nova. not a lot of cash but a good shooter. she shot better then me often. and min. pull for hunting here is 45lb. so that all worked great for her. I would buy another one.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely nothing wrong woth the AR line of bow's get her to try it and don't be so cheap.LOL

nubo
Old 12-12-2004, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys I found a formula on a bow web site and she figures out to a 24 inch draw if that was correct but i will take it up with my local bowshop owner
Old 12-12-2004, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might also want to go over to the Women Hunters Website and check it out to see what is working for the ladies in terms of bows... Women Hunters. com has over 600 members, they have some product reviews on womens bows done by women hunters and women archers. They also have a nice bulletin board where you and the wife can discuss the bows you are interested in with the ladies that are already shooting them.
Hope this helps ya some
www.womenhunters.com
Old 12-12-2004, 09:53 AM

Good luck with the AR, according to there website they don't make any short draw bows. My girlfriend is just getting into archery and has like a 23-24 inch draw as well. We just saw the new Blade 3 movie and of course she wants a bow like that! I looked and it seems to be a no go for the draw length. Unless you can get them to make a custom one like they did for Jessica Biel in the movie.

I would look at bowtech like the lady hawk or rascal, The mathews mustang maybe, The hoyt rintec or seria, The parker challenger, and the Darton Maverick SD. There are others as well.

I agree with you on the price. I don't want to spend a bundle on my girlfriend either. She might like it, she might not? Be a shame to drop that kind of money on somehting she doesn't really like or take seriously.

I modified my darton yukon for her to shoot. I got the draw length short enough and the draw weight low enough (she can't pull very much) for her to use it. The cams are seriously out of whack, but it works. I was shooting it at 20 yards and it seemed to group fairly well. Plenty well enough at 10 yards that I can teach her to shoot and she can get confident with it.

My other thought was getting her a new bow, but a farily inexpensive one, like one of the littler Alpines, or a Genisis Pro, or something along those lines. They cost around 200 bucks and she could learn with one. If she didn't like it or wanted something better later you could sell it to someone for the same purpose.

The only thing I noticed is all the kids and womens bows for shorter draws are all little bows. Like short axle to axles. This really isn't what I was looking for. My GF doesn't want to hunt, and with her short draw length low poundage I wouldn't really want her to. So we are thinking target bow. I think when she gets the hang of it and if she really enjoys it we will get her something better. Maybe she can go in half with me or something on a better bow. Like a martin or a Merlin, or the SD Maverick. Those are all pretty decent bows with the shorter draw options. And she wants something that looks cool as well (don't we all). She really likes the Hoyt tec bows with the target colors too.

I have a short draw as well, 25-26 inches. They just started releasing more bows for people like me in the past few years. Good luck in your quest for a good short draw bow. I have been there and will be doing it again soon. It's a pain sometimes.

Paul