Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Draw length adjustment? >

Draw length adjustment?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length adjustment?

Old 12-01-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Draw length adjustment?

I have a dual cam, Bear bow. It is a Black Bear type. It has a 30 inch draw on it but I have a 27.5 inch draw length. Can I adjust this bow to my draw length and if so how can I do it? If anyone could help me with this it would be appreciated. If anyone knows of any tech sites please let me know.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw length adjustment?

You could only do it if you have modules on the cam. I don't know about that specific bow so I can't say. Look on the side of the cam, probably the cable side and see if there is a piece that is screwed to the cam where the cable would wrap around it.

If not, sorry, you can't get that much adjustment.

--Bob
Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is this an original black bear? If memory serves me they were very similar to the original whitetail hunter that Bear Archery marketed. How many "wheels" does it have on it? Two? Four? How long is the bow itself?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

About the only thing you can do with a Black Bear is to move the cables into the shortest slot on the side of the cam and then short-string it. Not the best of options but it'll be a better option than shooting a bow way too long. The biggest problem you might find is that the peak weight will drop damatically.

I just did one two days ago for a gal. The weight went down so much that it's not legal for hunting here in Pa. I'm only assuming the bow was a 50 lb'er because the limbs were backed out some when I started and it weighed 42lbs. When I got done shortening it 3" the bow would only make 32#. One limb was split so she's going to get a new one. Anyway, this is what you get.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:53 PM

On the bottom limb label it says 30" draw, is that the lowest it will go or the highest or mid-range? I am currently drawing to about 28 inches on this bow. How will it affect the arrow to fire at less than full draw if the bow is left at 30" draw?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

If its a 30 inch draw bow & you only draw 28" the cams might not even roll over. If they do roll over you'll be so close that any creep on your part & it'll want to take off. I have a 28" draw & hunted last year with a 30" bear. I was shooting fingers & it didnt seem to matter much. I switched to a release this year when I got a different bow thats the right draw length & its much easier. The bear is difficult to shoot with a release & I might switch it back to a finger set up. The difficulty for me is the one I said above, if creep forward it wants to go, with fingers this wasn't a trouble for me.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jesus, the bow is 30" draw in the middle groove for the cable. Most likely it is 29"-31" draw. As I stated above, you can move the cable to the shortest setting. This will take it down to 29". Then you can put an inch shorter string on it and this should be 28". Don't be surprised if 28" ends up being 28.5". Very few bows measure out to what they are marked.

Frankly my boy, it's time for another bow. Almost anything is an upgrade from what you have. Even a good used one would be better than jerry-rigging.