Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Aluminum vs. Carbon >

Aluminum vs. Carbon

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Aluminum vs. Carbon

Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Aluminum vs. Carbon

I have been shooting aluminum arrows and just bought some carbon. I have noticed that the carbon shoots so much flatter. My bow is sighted in for aluminum and using the same sights from the same distances the carbons are about 6" higher. Is this my imagination or is this true?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Aluminum vs. Carbon

You arrows are flying faster due to them being lighter than the Alumns.

So yes you POI will be higher.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have found that diameter has a bigger effect on poi than the speed of the arrow out to around 40 yards.

Usually the carbon arrows hit lower because they are USUALLY smaller in diameter than aluminum.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually the carbon arrows hit lower because they are USUALLY smaller in diameter than aluminum.
You lost me on that one.[&:]
Old 11-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Me Too![&:]
Old 11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Switch from aluminum to carbon and almost always at 20 and 30 yards you will hit low with the carbons because they are smaller in diameter(meaning they sit lower on the rest).Speed has nothing to do with it.

So oldbucks carbon arrows hitting high is opposite of what most people experience.Either his carbons are bigger in diameter or something else has changed.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can honestly say I've never experienced that one TFOX. They may be smaller in diameter but the bottom of the shaft still sits in the same spot on the rest as the bigger aluminums. Even with a shoot thru rest , if you have to close the prongs a little to accomodate the smaller diameter the elevation is still the same. When I switch back and forth between aluminums and carbons I've always had the carbons impact higher due to the gain in speed.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 PM

I use a whisker biscuit so they do set in the bottom of the rest just as the aluminum do. I tested them both today, 20-30-40-50 yards and they always had a higher poi. I could shoot one aluminum then from the same stance and then carbon and it was always higher

from the farther distances you could see the aluminum with a noticable arch in the flight but not the carbon

found it quite interesting and will probably switch to all carbons......I shoot Easton Epic 400s at 19.50 inch long
Old 11-12-2004, 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Switch from aluminum to carbon and almost always at 20 and 30 yards you will hit low with the carbons because they are smaller in diameter(meaning they sit lower on the rest).Speed has nothing to do with it.

So oldbucks carbon arrows hitting high is opposite of what most people experience.Either his carbons are bigger in diameter or something else has changed.
I have never noticed that happen[&:]
Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are using a fallaway or a WB then is quite possible the carbons shoot the same or higher but on a prong style rest,the arrows sits lower because it goes down between the prongs further.