Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Which Cut-On Contact Fixed Blade Broadhead? >

Which Cut-On Contact Fixed Blade Broadhead?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which Cut-On Contact Fixed Blade Broadhead?

Old 11-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Cut-On Contact Fixed Blade Broadhead?

Of the heads you list , magnus would be my choice , but monotechs would be on the list allso , and slick tricks .
Old 11-10-2004, 12:03 PM

I love my 100gr 4bld Stingers. Only problem I've had was I bent a bleeder blade when it hit a rib. I don't know about the blood trail, the deer didn't leave one, but that's ok since it only made it about 20 feet after the shot.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:43 PM

I have shot many deer with the old Bear Razorhead, even starting out with the old 145 grain version and then switching to the 110 grain Razorhead Lite when it came out 5 or 6 years ago. Now it is known as the Satellite Razorhead and is down to 100 grains although I have not used this version yet.

Almost every deer I have shot with the Razorhead has fallen within sight of my stand. I have shot a dozen plus deer with the Razorhead and have only had to track 3 of them so I consider them very lethal. I tried mechanicals a few years ago when they became the latest rage and the only deer I shot with one was hit right through the chest and I did not find him. I switched back to the Razorhead and the last five deer have all fallen in sight. I love the 2 blade style but I do use the bleeder blade on the Razorhead. It cracks me up when some people worry about breaking the bleeder blade with they shoot a deer. The bleeder was designed thin on purpose by Fred Bear so that it would shear off in the event of hitting heavy bone. By fold or shearing off the bleeder blade does not inhibit the penetration of the head like it would if they were rigid. Most deer I have shot bleeder blade is bent some but stays intact. I have shot a few where the broadhead knicked the spine and the bleeder was sheared off and the head went on through to the vitals.

Possible advantages of the Razorhead over the others:
- Price, will not find a cheaper let alone more effective head. Half the price of others.
- Can replace the bleeder blade.
- Mine fly great with my setup. All my buddies with mechanicals or muzzies are amazed at how tight my groups are with these heads. They do not hit in exact same spot as my field points so I sight them in and then they fly great.

I see Razorheads were not on your list but I do have a little experience with the NAP Razorback 100. I bought my 11 year old son a crossbow so he could bowhunt with me until he is strong enough to shoot a regular compound (and he shot a trophy, see my other post http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=824667). Anyway since I prefer the 2 blade style I thought the newer technology of the NAP Razorback might fit well with the fast, short bolt of the crossbow. They flew great and my boy shot a nice buck and he only ran 30 yards before falling over dead. I think they are a good head but I tried them with my bow and still shot better groups with the Razorhead.

I will end my book by saying that any broadhead that is placed in the proper location will be lethal. I think the choice is somewhat a personal preference and what shoots well with your setup.