Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow weight v. speed for penetration >

arrow weight v. speed for penetration

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow weight v. speed for penetration

Old 11-02-2004, 10:00 AM

Default RE: arrow weight v. speed for penetration

I'm going to disagree with many here. I think the heavier heads penetrate better from my experience.

Here's what I used to set my bow up.

1. I never take shots past 30 yards due to the terrain I hunt. I just don't get many shots that long. Too many bushes and obsticles.
2. Speed isn't worth anything if you aren't accurate.
3. The speed I lose by shooting the 125gr heads isn't enough to make my setup need more than the 2 pins I use for hunting. I have one out to 20, and one set at 30. The difference on a target is only around 10 inches with my broadheads so two pins is fine for me.

With that in mind, I think the 125s were the way to go for me. I'm not a speed deamon. But I have the accuracy I want out to the range I want to hunt.

If you're planning on taking longer shots, or you have too much drop in your arrows, by all means get a lighter head. But if you can swing heavier with little impact on your hunting setup, I'm all for it.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

You are only looking at about a 5% increase in kinetic energy when going from a 5 grains per lb. of draw wt.(70 lb draw = 350 gr arrow) to 8 grains per lb. of draw wt.(70 lb draw = 560 gr arrow). I would call that irrelevant whether the difference is 84 lb. KE vs. 80 lb. KE or 42 lb. KE vs. 40 lb. KE. Get your arrows tuned, use a stiff enough shaft, and use very sharp broadheads. Those three things will do far more for penetration than any increase in arrow weight. Smaller diameter broadheads should be easier to tune and create less resisitance on impact. Bottom line: Don't change heads if you current set up is working, I don't care how long your buddies have been hunting.

My rig makes 85 lb. of KE behind a 375 gr arrow w/ a Muzzy 90 gr head. Typically, the end result is pulling a blood covered arrow from about 12" into the ground and going less that 100 yds to retrieve my animal. That heavy arrow crap is just that. If you feel you are a little light on penetration simply add 5 lb of draw weight.

On the speed side of things, you don't have to hunt out West to use it to your advantage. I use high speed to keep things simple. 320 fps allows me to use one pin from 0-35 yds and that just happens to be my comfortable range too. I don't care where that big bucks shows up, 15, 25, 35 yds just put the pin on him and pull the trigger.

Sorry for the rant but the heavy arrow argument just isn't good physics.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tbonecpa

((((((AMEN!))))))
Old 11-02-2004, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: tbonecpa

You are only looking at about a 5% increase in kinetic energy when going from a 5 grains per lb. of draw wt.(70 lb draw = 350 gr arrow) to 8 grains per lb. of draw wt.(70 lb draw = 560 gr arrow). I would call that irrelevant whether the difference is 84 lb. KE vs. 80 lb. KE or 42 lb. KE vs. 40 lb. KE.
Exactly!

If you use a heavier arrow your KE will go up a touch, but not much. Most would say not enough to make a difference. That is why I like the Carbon. My arrows are fly faster and yield almost as much KE and a heavier "Aluminum." I like the flat trajectory. To me sacrificing a pound of KE is worth the gain in speed. That is just my opinion.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: tbonecpa

On the speed side of things, you don't have to hunt out West to use it to your advantage. I use high speed to keep things simple. 320 fps allows me to use one pin from 0-35 yds and that just happens to be my comfortable range too. I don't care where that big bucks shows up, 15, 25, 35 yds just put the pin on him and pull the trigger.
Speed is convenient

True I did the same thing and so did my buddy. He could get away with a 40 and under pin. That is handy in many situations. He hunts all over so speed gives him a lot of versitlity on the yardages he can shoot. Whether he is out west, or up north, or where ever; he made his setup to do just about anything. I believe he has about 98 - 100 lbs of KE.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:41 PM

I think penetration and KE is a non-issue with your setup, unless your hunting really big-game. More important is your broadhead flight and what happens in wind or when hitting a twig. In my opinion the extra 25 grains is very helpful to increase your F.O.C. for a better flying hunting arrow. I find that 125-140 grain heads on a good stiff carbon arrow, result in some pretty darn good broadhead flight. Lighten up on the tip weight and things get more critical for spine or shooting in wind.

At the ranges most of us shoot while hunting, speed is probably the least important component of success.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

At the ranges most of us shoot while hunting, speed is probably the least important component of success.
Couldn't agree more, SA!

BPS, no more inuendos? Okay. Yes, my setups - even my POS homemade longbow - are far superior to yours, in every respect. Except on the chronograph screen.

By the way, You're welcome.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will have to agree with Arthur 100% (fOR THE FIRST TIME)that the extra 25 grains won't make a difference unless it affects the spine and foc in a possitive way.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur P
I love ya and im praying for ya.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Very true

Quick Reply: arrow weight v. speed for penetration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.