Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I guess Pinwheel12 was right.... >

I guess Pinwheel12 was right....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I guess Pinwheel12 was right....

Old 11-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I guess Pinwheel12 was right....

I wonder if some of the grand kids would miss a Christmas present or two this year????
I don't know about that, but if they only have to give up a present or two to cover that bill, where do I sign up to be one of your grandkids?

PMantle, why don't you go bust a nock or something...
Old 11-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

Kevin, I took Jeff's post to mean "other than draw cycle", as in noise, hand shock, recoil, steady to aim, etc...
Exactly what I meant. When I can find a hybrid that aims as well for me, has a similar "lock-in" valley, super solid wall, shoots with the same or less vibe/recoil/noise and aims as steady for me like the Liberty or the Outback (not including the noise on the OB), has a comfy grip,AND offers good speed for the effort, then I will be the first to jump on it. I just haven't found it yet. With the extreme parallel limbs, increased speeds, and solid draw stop, I'm hoping the Binary cam will suceed where others have failed me personally. I've already got the word from BT that noise-wise it's approaching the noise levels of the F-cam bows, so I think there is some promise.

Jmac,

I did get a chance to run some arrows through a Max-Xtreme this year. Nice bow. Well built as all Merlin's are, smooth draw.. Felt very similar to my Martin Razor-X SE w/ Tru-arcs... about the same speed, and quieter with less vibe, just not to my personal liking overall. I believe if that bow were made with the R2 cams , I'd prefer that.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:22 PM

I just got off the phone with my nearest BowTech dealer I ordered a Defender for the wife in 60/26 inch draw Now,,, I need to make up my mind for what I want,,, but probably later
Old 11-02-2004, 03:27 PM

JeffB,
Fair enough. I was just wondering if that one met your requirements. It currently meets mine, although I want to get a faster bow in addition to play with now. Anyone got an 03 Pat Dually for sale? Sounds like you may be making room WWAG???

JMAC
Old 11-02-2004, 08:13 PM

I think that SA and others continually confuse tournament accuracy with hunting effectiveness/efficiency. I find many of my new customers complaining about fixed BH flight and penetration. Their field tip shooting is VERY accurate, but many won't shoot fixed BHs because of inconsistency. They also wonder why they're not getting the penetration that they used to get with some of their old bows.

I give them lenghty explanations for both of these complaints.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:22 AM

Len,,, does "old Bows" mean like,, 10 or more years old?? If so, I'll guess hatchet cams, aluminum arrows with tighter component fit and heavier shafts adds up to penetration and more consistent accuracy at hunting distances???
Old 11-03-2004, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Can't remember just who said it but I believe it was Pinwheel 12 concerning the developement of the hybrids and the Cam &1/2... Something on the order of "pretty soon we'll be seeing the re-inventing of the dual cam" Well,,, I think it's here!!
Well, if what I just saw posted in the Bowtech thread on the Bowhunting forum is correct, then the older dual cam style might be a thing of the past considering Bowtech is only basically offering the BK2 in a dual cam model. However, I would be interested in hearing a comparison of how the new Equalizer style cam system would stack up against a conventional dual cam design.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmac_or

JeffB,
Fair enough. I was just wondering if that one met your requirements. It currently meets mine, although I want to get a faster bow in addition to play with now.
JMAC
That was probably the biggest issue with the Max-Extreme for me. I was not real impressed with the speed, at least at my 28.5" draw length. It's decent considering the specs, but it was slower than the 3 bows I had at the time, and they are all on the "bottom edge" of what I prefer to have. Bow shot great tho, very accurate. And the new anodizing for cams and pockets is much better than the old orange color. I would certainly recommend the bow.

However, I think with a set of X-Treme limbsavers I would have been happy with it in all the other aspects. An 80 pound model , or an extra 10-15 FPS with the R2 cams @ 70 pounds and turbo mods would prolly give me what I want speed-wise. I really like those R2 cams.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr
then the older dual cam style might be a thing of the past considering Bowtech is only basically offering the BK2 in a dual cam model.
This unnerves me a bit. While the performance of the Equalizer certainly on paper seems very good, I'd hate to see the all-out speed of the duals on model like the Patriot and Pro 40 go by the wayside. It's very exciting and nice to be able to shoot a 60 pound bow that produces so much speed and energy. People at the shop are always floored by it when I've let them shoot my personal bows.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: jmac_or

JeffB,
Fair enough. I was just wondering if that one met your requirements. It currently meets mine, although I want to get a faster bow in addition to play with now.
JMAC
That was probably the biggest issue with the Max-Extreme for me. I was not real impressed with the speed, at least at my 28.5" draw length. It's decent considering the specs, but it was slower than the 3 bows I had at the time, and they are all on the "bottom edge" of what I prefer to have. Bow shot great tho, very accurate. And the new anodizing for cams and pockets is much better than the old orange color. I would certainly recommend the bow.

However, I think with a set of X-Treme limbsavers I would have been happy with it in all the other aspects. An 80 pound model , or an extra 10-15 FPS with the R2 cams @ 70 pounds and turbo mods would prolly give me what I want speed-wise. I really like those R2 cams.
JeffB,
This is in my opinion the one slightly negative aspect of the bow. But, I knew that going in and I did get what I wanted, a smooth, accurate, hunting bow. I also agree with you about the R2 cams on that bow. I think a little speed option in that format would be just plain fun. All of the inherent good shooting aspects of a Merlin, with a little speed for fun.

WWAG,
So, are you thinning the bow stable? Seems like your bow rack will be pretty full come December. I really need an '03 dually..

JMAC

Quick Reply: I guess Pinwheel12 was right....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.