Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Plano or Doskocil >

Plano or Doskocil

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Plano or Doskocil

Old 10-12-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Plano or Doskocil

Hi guys,

This is a bit of a boring question, but since I can't view the item before purchasing, I need some advice. I am looking for a bowcase for my Liberty. I was thinking of either one of the Plano cases or the Doskocil deluxe case (the one with the aluminium valance). The Plano cases are from $25 to around $60 and the Doskocil deluxe is $80. What is the best value for money (bearing in mind that shipping on both will be about the same cost)?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-12-2004, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Plano or Doskocil

i bought the Doskocil SE 44 for my Justice. I like the fact that i can just pull my quiver off the bow and attach it into the lid of the case. The Pro 44 has a broadhead box but i couldnt justify another $20 for it.

As a side note i made my own quiver mount. I have the Alpine soft loc and a second bracket for it cost $15 so i just took a 1x3 pice of wood and carved out two channels for the quiver rails, then attached two velco straps and screwed into the posts in the lid, works great
Old 10-12-2004, 06:10 PM

I also have the SE 44. I bought mine for about $25. Are we talking about the same one Joe?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:40 PM

yup, that is the same one, they range from $25 to $30 depending on where you buy them.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 Plano cases and they are a good solid case. I just purchased a Doskil Pro 44 and heres why: It has space to put your quiver loaded with arrows in it without touching your vanes. Its nice to keep the quiver loaded, I really like that. Second, its about 7" shorter than the Plano. They fit in cars or the truck better. If I had my choice they'd make it 38" which is way smaller than Plano. Third, the Doskil Pro 44 has a really nice built in (removeable) Tackle box. Its really handy. I had to buy one for my Plano case and there's not really a good space for it. Lastly, the Doskil Pro 44 is thicker than the Plano case. By purchasing some extra foam, this cases can easily handle 2 bows. Kind of nice on a trip when I want to bring the back-up bow.

I haven't been able to use it much yet because I recently purchased it, but for what I've seen so far I like the Pro model Doskil 44.

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was set on purchasing a Doskocil Pro 44 but Dick's Sporting Goods ran a sale last month on their aluminum bow case. On sale for $75. Has 2 nice sized compartments for broadheads and accessories. It's similar to, but not exactly like this case : Aluminum bow case
Old 10-12-2004, 09:22 PM

Thanks for some good feed back guys. I thought that compred to normal interesting archery stuff bow case discussions are boring - but obviously not.

I currently have the Doskocil SE44 case, but am not too happy with the rigidity of the lid. The size is perfect (a bit fat perhaps), but when I sit on the lid she dents right in. I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling. Thought I would look into something more solid - hence the deluxe Doskocil (with Alu) or the Plano (with support columns).

Any comments on these cases?

Thanks again,

Greg
Old 10-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

gregvisser............you gave the one reason I was worried about the Pro 44. Its appears to possibly not be quite as rigid as I'd like. I don't know that yet. The plano support bars are good and I'm been thinking how to make them for the Pro 44.

Good Luck!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am using the least expensive Plano case for one of my bows and have been using it for various bows for the last 2 years. Great little case. Alot of adjustability in terms of where to place the bow straps and the support columns do provide plenty of support for the type of transport that I typically utilize (no plane trips at this point). You can fit some bow stabilizer combinations in there without a problem but others will require that the stabilizer be removed prior to placement in the case. The bow's quiver must be removed though there is usually a decent amount of room for you to place it next to the bow.

Hope this helps.