Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching ACCs with feathers, which glue? >

Fletching ACCs with feathers, which glue?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching ACCs with feathers, which glue?

Old 10-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fletching ACCs with feathers, which glue?

Just found out a buddy of mine has a Bitz. I need to re-fletch 2 of my ACCs, he said have at it

He has a variety of 4" feathers, but I'm wondering if I can use super glue as an adhesive? Hoping so, as his glue is "old and no good", and I don't want to have to order glue just for this occaison, as I have some super glue.

Also, do the ACCs require any special preperation, such as wipe down with acetone or something? How about the base of the feather?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Fletching ACCs with feathers, which glue?

I use the Fast Fletch adhesive to bond feathers to my ACC's. I believe it's similar to super glue so I don't see why that wouldn't work. I wipe my shafts down with a dry, clean cloth before fletching but other than that there's no special prep to either shaft or feather. Haven't had any come loose yet.

Even though the Fast Fletch is quick drying I usually leave the feathers sit in the clamp for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Usually 30 minutes because I'm never really in a big hurry to get them done. But the feathers should sit in the clamp longer than vanes because they have that natural tendency to curl and if taken out too early they can move around a bit. Makes for some really cool looking arrow flight though. Sort of like watching the acrobatic bi-planes at an air show.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks... I figure I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used Bohning Bond-tite on the half dozen ACC's that I fletched. So far so good.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the past I've used Fletchtite, Bondtite, Saunders NPV, and various superglues. Right now I'm using Fletchtite Platinum. They all work. It's how you prep the arrows that makes a difference. I wipe mine down with 91% alcohol available at your local drug store. The feathers don't need treated. Most vanes do.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm not mistaken, super glue type adhesives are not recommended for feathers. I use Fletch Tite PLatinum and it work very well. I'v also been experimenting with the fletching tape and so far they are holding up great. You can fletch an arrow in under a minute using the tape if you're good with your jig.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've used several of the super glue gels for fletching carbons with feathers and haven't had any problems since I figgered out how to do it. I run a bead of glue down the feather's quill and then spread it out evenly with a toothpick before applying it to the shaft.

But that was then and this is now... Nowadays, I don't use anything for fletching feathers except Bohning fletching tape.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you guys on the tape, and when I get set up to do this, that's what I plan to use.

Right now, I just need to get 2 arrows back in service asap
Old 10-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you guys recommend to remove old adhesive from ACCs? Can I use Acetone on carbon? How about rubbing alcohol? Or do you just scrape it off with a razor?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Acetone won't budge any of the cyanoacrylate glues. You gotta CAREFULLY scrape off the mess. Scrape too deep and you cut into the shaft. After I get all the glue off, then I'll go over the shaft with denatured alcohol.

Rubbing alcohol contains oils that will contaminate the surface and keep fletches from sticking properly. NEVER use that stuff on arrows.

Quick Reply: Fletching ACCs with feathers, which glue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.