Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Set-up help needed >

Set-up help needed

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Set-up help needed

Old 10-04-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Set-up help needed

Need some set up help all? I have a new Martin Cougar magnum Truarc bow. I am trying to set it up by myself. The bow has a short brace height and I put a Whisker Biscuit with drop-tine on it. But with the brace height so low the arrow veins are in the biscuit at rest. What can I do to increase the distance between the string and the rest? Can I mount the biscuit in reveres? So it sits on the front end of the bow? I would appreciate and advice you can give. Thanks Jared.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Set-up help needed

I assume that you slid the rest as far forward as you can?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:55 AM

You didn't say what length fletching you're using. Put some 3" helical feathers (or vanes) on your arrows. It will leave lots of space and will still give your arrows lots of drag.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:13 AM

I am using a 4inch fletching and yes the biscuit is as far forward as I can go. I guess my question is assuming my arrow is long enough can I mount the biscuit so it is in front of the bow? And if I mount it this way are there any major negative affects? Or benefits? Thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever you do, don't mount the WB in front of the bow. Sitting out front, it's eventually going to take a beating. Drop the bow or wreck into a tree in the dark and you could knock the rest out of tune, if not bend or break it outright. Not to mention the fact that any form flaws you have will be greatly magnified with the rest in front of the riser. Accuracy in field situations will flat suck.

There are some bows that simply don't work well with some rests, and it sounds like you came up with one such combination. Try a different rest.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:33 PM

Actually, that rest will work just fine with that bow. There is nothing wrong with the front of the vanes in the biscuit. It won't effect accuracy or reliability of the rest one bit.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:01 PM

I'll second Arthur P on that one. Don't, under any circumstances, put the rest in front of the riser. While it technically may work, I have a hard time believing that it will tune properly. Not to mention that any little flinch will send the arrow WAY off course.

If you are set on using the WB, it's time to look around and change something such as purchase shorter fletchings. If nothing else can change, time to look for a new rest.

As far as 6ptsika suggested, the fletching can be in the biscuit if you want. But drawing feathers backward through the WB will really mess up the feathers!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is nothing wrong with the front of the vanes in the biscuit. It won't effect accuracy or reliability of the rest one bit.
I saw a brand new Hoyt Tec bow blown up a couple of years ago because the vanes were sticking through the WB at brace height. The guy drew, apparently the bristles had a nice, snug grip on the vanes. The nock pulled out of his carbon arrow. He didn't notice the arrow was dangling down from the biskit and only the nock was on his string. I yelled "LET DOWN" at the exact moment he triggered the release.

Kablooie![:'(]

I would NOT recommend that kind of setup. No dig against the WB, but there is no sense in taking that kind of risk. Shorter vanes (Bohning Blazers, for instance) or a different rest. Those are the options I'd look at, if it were my bow.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you do, don't mount the WB in front of the bow.
We have a husband/wife proshop operation here where I purchased my latest bow. She is as good a tech as any! He on the other hand?[&:] He setup a whisker biscuit on a customers bow (I got the privelege of watching this) backwards. Yep , he had the biscuit in front of the riser.
When his wife seen what he did she just shook her head and told him to finish fletching arrows.[X(]
Old 10-05-2004, 11:46 PM

BOWFANATIC is it the shop in Merrill by chance?

Quick Reply: Set-up help needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.