Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Small fixed head choices >

Small fixed head choices

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Small fixed head choices

Old 09-26-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Small fixed head choices

Guys,

Wondering if someone can help with some advice: For my 'bread and butter' broadheads, I got some 100 gr Nap Spitfires, but I am quite keen to investigate smaller fixed heads on the side. My arrows are fletched with 2.5" vanes with a nice helical.

I am considering the WASP Boss bullet 100 gr (1" cutting dia) or the Sonic 100 gr (7/8" cutting dia). I have heard good things about the Boss Bullet and read 5shot's review on the sonic, but favour getting the Bullets at the moment (well made, good flight characteristics).

Any advice out there?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 09-26-2004, 05:52 PM

Default RE: Small fixed head choices

I was a solid Spitfire 100 man................but those Boss Bullets have just about won me over !!
I have gotten outstanding results...........from accuracy, to penetration, to quick kills with them !!

I don't think you'd be disappointed with them in the least !!
Old 09-27-2004, 06:56 AM

I've heard good things about the Wasp, but never tried them.

I went with Rocket Ultimate Steel 75 this year and have been happy practicing with them but have yet to put them to flesh so I'll see in a week or so.

My partner shoots the Nitrons and loves those as well.

Sonic's are new this year and I planned on giving them a try but there are plenty of similar heads that have already been tried and tested so...I'll wait for the reports on them myself before I buy them.

I really like the Wac'em archery's "Triton" as well. 100 grain cut on contact that was the only head that every single one spun true straight out of the package. If they made a 75 grain....that'd be my head for sure.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:04 AM

I don't know if they count as small heads... but I've shot Rocky Ironhead 125's on my old bow, and now am using Rocky Titanium 100's on my new bow. They always seem to fly true for me.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Im using wasp bullet 100s and am pleased in every way. I think you would be happy.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:53 AM

Look at the Slick Trick 85s.

Just got some after reading a lot of good revews, including 5shots, on them and they are all everyone says and some.

The best shooting fixed blade I have shot yet and seem to be very strong.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:27 AM

I love the 100gr montecs, but next year I think I am going to add sonics to my arsenal. According to 5shot's review and a lot of other things I hear and read they are super accurate and virtually indestuctable. I like the boss bullets too, but I think the sonics are a better head, personally. They should penatrate better.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:10 PM

I used the Wasp Boss SSTs last year and thought they were great. However, they don't hold a candle to the NAP Nitrons. They are IMHO, the best broadhead ever made. The blades are the sharpest I've ever seen on any broadhead, and the weight tolerances among the 6 Nitrons I bought are INCREDIBLE - there was only 1/10th of a grain difference - all weighed between 100.2 and 100.3 grains. If you don't think that means much, weigh 6 of your favorite 100 grain heads sometime and see if they even weigh near 100 grains. And oh yeah, they hit right with the field points out to 50 yds.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:13 PM

From what I've heard the NAP Nitrons and Crossfires are absolutely amazing, but I feel NAP heads are very expensive in general. I think the Crossfires go for something like $32 for 3 whereas you get 6 Boss Bullets for the same price.

Thanks for some good feedback on the Bullets. I suspect I probably go for them in the end....

Greg
Old 09-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both are fine heads along with the NAP Nitrons, Wak'em broadheads or the slick tricks. All of these heads seem to shoot right with field points even from bows that are not perfectly tuned.

Quick Reply: Small fixed head choices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.