Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help this senior citizen spec out a new bow. >

Help this senior citizen spec out a new bow.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help this senior citizen spec out a new bow.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Help this senior citizen spec out a new bow.

I'm nearly 65 years old, been bow hunting for 15 yrs. With arthur gathering in my shoulders, I've got to reduce the pull weight and increase the left off (this is a good reason to get a new bow).

I'm been pulling slightly over 60# with 65% left off. I hunt whitetails in the Texas Hill Country. (off the ground). I shoot a 27" XX75 Easton 2213 Superlite arrow with 80 gram TriLock Broadhead. I've got a nice supply of arrows and broadheads.

Your suggestions on what to buy and how to rig will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tad Pole
Old 09-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help this senior citizen spec out a new bow.

Welcome aboard tad pole
I am a big fan of bowtech bows so let me suggest the LIBERTY or the JUSTICE.The freedom cams on these bows are super smooth and are offered in 80% let-off.I dont know if you are a speed freak but these bows are very respectful in the speed department,set at 55 to 60 lbs.Give the bowtechs a try,you may find you like it,and the cams shouldent be to hard on your shoulder.
If you want more speed then look into the patriot vft.I own this bow and absolutely love it,easy to draw back,smooth and shock free.Give them a try,you wont be dissapointed
Old 09-24-2004, 11:19 PM

I have the Justice and it's a very accurate little slingshot of a bow at 31 1/4 inches with an 8 inch brace height. Love this little wonder!!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 11:39 PM

I'm nearly 65 years old, been bow hunting for 15 yrs. With arthur gathering in my shoulders, I've got to reduce the pull weight and increase the left off (this is a good reason to get a new bow).

I'm been pulling slightly over 60# with 65% left off. I hunt whitetails in the Texas Hill Country. (off the ground). I shoot a 27" XX75 Easton 2213 Superlite arrow with 80 gram TriLock Broadhead. I've got a nice supply of arrows and broadheads.
I too am a senior citizen, been retired about 5 yrs, & most of my relations too, live in the Texas Hill Country, near Kimble county, (Junction, Telegraph, Kerrville & Fredericksburg) about 80 mi± west of San Antonio.

The deer are healthy there, my sister said a man who went to her church did not use a lot of meat, mostly raw veggies, and the only kind of meat he did eat was deer and & a few wild game birds: he was 95 yrs and still working at a bike shop.

I now live in the western desert & find it necessary sometimes to shoot 50± yds.. So I to wished to buy a bow with more let-off than the 65% of my older bows, yet shoot equal or better. I too use a light arrow for hunting with about an 80 gr head.

I tried the Bowtech Patriot single cam, 60# 30” draw, 80% let-off, shooting it at 63#: now going by the adds and what I was told by Bowtech’s techs, before buying it, I was expecting a lot more speed than we got. Shooting a little less than 5 gr lb we got less than 311 fps. We had got the single cam to keep things simpler.

On this forum someone told me that they shot a 70# Patriot backed off to 62# & it shot faster than the 60# jacked up to 64#. We got some 70# limbs and will see how they will do in that circumstances, in a couple of days: but the Bowtech tech said no, that most all bows were more efficient jacked all the way up. We will see??

I do love to shoot it, very little noise or vibs but when I buy something I want to see it function, near at least, to whatever is claimed of the product. So the 70# 30” will at least, let us compare it to the IBO claimed??

Will let you know in a few days how all works out.

It sounds like you are Not going to be needing an extreme speed, so the Liberty or Justice as suggested by someone above appears to be a good choice: and the Patriot? The verdict is still out on it for me: of coarse we are only talking speed here, I could not envisage a much better feel than this bow has.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:36 AM

there is a 99% letoff bow out there, i forget the name of it. someone may be able to help you with the name. you'll still have to get through the draw cycle, but then holding will be cake. i think this bow is designed for people in your situation.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's not the letoff % that hurts me, it's the long dwell at peak, sudden breakover then getting dumped into the ditch (too narrow to be called a valley) and slammed into the freakin' wall. THAT is what kills my shoulders.

BowTech and Mathews both supposedly make easy drawing cams, but they don't come in my draw length so I've never messed with either one. The only thing Hoyt has that works for me is their AccuWheel.

I've seen the force draw curve for Martin's new Nitrous cams, but the local shop hasn't had one come thru the door yet. On paper, they look like a winner for bum shoulders. Anybody shot them yet?
Old 09-25-2004, 02:18 PM

One would want to check before buying anything with more than ± 80% let-off because there has been regulations in some areas about let-off in the past.

It has been a while since I have shot in Texas, so you may want to verify the guidelines.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ain't no kind of letoff restrictions here. Heck, anybody that wants to can even use the %^$! drawlock in Texas.[:@] The Alan Warren rule. The drawlock maker wanted to advertise on his show. Reid Ryan was a regular on his show at the time. Reid's daddy, Nolan Ryan is on the game commission. Anybody need 3 guesses how that rule got passed?
Old 09-25-2004, 07:42 PM

Hey gang, I really appreciate the expert advice. I'm now looking for a source to buy a Liberty or Justice. I live in East Texas (on Toledo Bend Reservoir) and thar ain't no dealer close by. Thanks again.. Tap Pole
Old 09-25-2004, 08:01 PM

Click on this link......
http://www.bowtecharchery.com/dealers/states/TX.html
You'll love your new Bowtech

Quick Reply: Help this senior citizen spec out a new bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.