Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Loooooong range shooting. >

Loooooong range shooting.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Loooooong range shooting.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Loooooong range shooting.

I like to practice out at distances much farther than I'd ever hunt to...as many of us do.

I don't see many options for sights that really get out there though at range though.

I have a CJDN3 with 5 pins and shoot 285 and I'm maxed at the apeture at 60 so extra pins wouldn't do any good so....

What sights are out there that allow you to get to 100-120-130 yards???

Custom stuff or is there one I can get without "frankenstein-ing" a pre fab sight??
Old 09-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Loooooong range shooting.

kelly.

I have a Hogg-it with 4 pins set for 20 30 35 40 yds and shoot out to 80 to 100 when at the club range.

It takes a little practice but after a while you get to know where to aim in the trees that are in the back ground
Old 09-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kelly, you could get a CJ Ants. Tons of adjustment. Single pin though, not a hunting sight. Nice thing is, it'll fit in your III mount. I have IIs and IIIs on my bows, with an Ants for messing around.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:31 AM

I have a buddy that's selling a TT Top pin....I'm going to give that a go and see how it works.

Hadn't even thought about the target sight option Phil...good call. I've got an old check it with about 17" of elevation around here somehwere

That'll keep me outta the trees with Russel
Old 09-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can get out to 70 with my leathal weapon sight, but to get further I'd need something like this:

Old 09-15-2004, 08:24 AM

I can get out to 85 or so on my Cobra EZ slide, but I have an Idea that will take me out to about 100. My buddy gets out to about 115 with his HHA 5000? I think.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:48 AM

A lot of it's going to depend on your set up and sight window of your bow. Normally one of the movable sights would be the way to go for longer range stuff I would think. However you may not be able to get that kind of range out of your bow. As the range increases the sight drops. Eventually it will be in the way of the arrow, or out of veiw in your peep sight. You may have to move your peep sight and change your anchor to shoot at those distances.

I've never tried it, but I think it would be difficult to set up a bow to shoot at 100 + yards, and shoot at 20 yards. I can get about 70 out of mine.

Paul
Old 09-15-2004, 10:10 AM

I just though of something Kelly. If you are interested in long range shooting take a trip to Cleland's Outdoor world in Swanton Ohio. It's right over the overpass when you go past the airport on Airport hwy (east side) I could even take you there if you want, I grew up in that area. The guy that runs the archery department is Matt Cleland. He used to compete in long range archery and was on the olympic team for a while. Real nice guy too, my age maybe younger.

If anyone could give you some pointers on long range shooting it would be him.

Check out this link:
http://www.fca.ca/ex/MattClelland02.htm

And here is another one:
http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/qarch13.htm

I was going to add a link to thier shop, but the site is under construction. They are also a full service gun shop with an indoor shooting range. And they give lessons in both archery and firearms. Not very bigh though, maybe a bit bigger than Johnson's here in Adrian.

You may even be able to email him or something?

Good luck,
Paul
Old 09-15-2004, 10:11 AM

I have seen pics of people glueing a piece of fiber optic to the top of the level on their sights .
Old 09-15-2004, 11:26 AM

Paul...I may take a trip down there. I've been by it but always with time constraints. Now I have a good reason.

I have 2 sights on the way to try. One is the TT top pin that has 5 pins plus one on top and one on bottom for a total of 7. I balked at buying one initially as I wasn;t real keen on the cluttered sight window cluttered with pins from every direction.

The other is the Lethal Weapon which I see Bobco has already.
What is that picture of Bob?? Will it affix to the bar on the Lethal weapon or is it a different animal??

Quick Reply: Loooooong range shooting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.