Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 LEACHES, WHISKERS, OR LIMB SAVERS??? >

LEACHES, WHISKERS, OR LIMB SAVERS???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

LEACHES, WHISKERS, OR LIMB SAVERS???

Old 09-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: LEACHES, WHISKERS, OR LIMB SAVERS???

Catwhiskers cause a loss of 3-10 fps? Not on my bow. Actually Leeches and Catwhiskers came out the same for me. Now Bowpuffs..yes.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I had Leaches and Limb Savers put on today. I took a few shots with the leaches and didn't notice too much difference. I waited to put the Limb Savers on until I got home from the shop and notice my stablizer was not tight. [:@](Actually it was pretty loose) I'm really suprised I didn't notice that before.
Anyway, I feel pretty good about getting out and taking a few shots to see the difference in the sound the bow makes. Especially since I found the loose stablizer.
Would it be a good idea to put a Limb Saver Cable Dampener on? Or would that be ovekill?
I shoot a Mathews FX at 67lbs.
Quiktune 100 rest.
Easton Excell arrows

Thanks for all the input and advice.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Very noticeable difference. Stabilizer is tight. Leeches are on. Limb Savers are on. Bow is quiet. I'm using one pin out to 30 yards and am now doing the rest of my practice shooting at 40 yards. Season starts Wed, but I probably won't get out until next weekend.

Good Luck all and thanks for the input.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

the limb savers are great for deadning shock and noise generated from the limb's
However......
the simms leeches are IMO JUNK! and last no time, even the new styles dont last very long.

cat wiskers cut up into 4 1 inch strips and tied tightly on the with string material in the center will ball up perfectly when you seperate the strands and deaden the string noise much better than any thing I have used and does not reduce the speed nearly as much as the leeches do.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

I went with the leeches because I don't shoot in any sort of league. If I did shoot in a league I would have went with whiskers so I wouldn't be replacing the leeches. Now I can replace the leeches every season during my preseason maintenance and practice.

Again thanks for everyone's input and advice.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:53 PM

I've never had a problem with string leeches. In fact I've had the same set on my bow for three years now. I have to change them nw because I'm changing the string and ain't gonna cheap out by reusing anything, three years out of one string is plenty for me. And I don't shoot in a league but I do shoot pretty much every day it's not raining out without fail. So the set on my bow now has thousands of arrows through it.