Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tips

Old 08-30-2004, 06:51 PM

Default tips

i'm a new comer to bow hunting and i was wondering if anyone could help me. i have purchased a bow that fits me good and the weight and draw is perfect. but i'm having trouble hitting my target. i shoot with my older brother and he whoops me at shooting contest and i was wondering is there anything that yall might think of i should try? not only for shooting around the house but also in the upcoming deer season. PLEASE any advice would be GREAT!!!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tips

My advice would be that if you're having problems hitting your target, reconsider going out for hunting season. Maybe wait until next year when you've had more time to practice and become consistant. If you're having problems on a stationary target imagine how much harder it will be when you're aiming on an unpredictable deer.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

I had to sit out last season. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:17 AM

PLEASE any advice would be GREAT!!!
If you hold the bow loose & keep the sight on the spot you shoot at, until the arrow impacts you will come close: unless you have fletching contact or the bow is not tuned.

You can make mistakes in shooting as long as you make the same one every time in precisely the same way.

For tuning you will need help, or be able to understand the info put out on the net or other publications which you can pick up on many of these post here.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:32 AM

are you follwing thru with your shot are you using same anchor point every time are you gripping the bow too tightare you dropping arm holding bow too soon do you use apeep sight you can email me back if you wish and maybe you can tell me more and i can help you
Old 08-31-2004, 04:02 AM

it also depends on how big your target is and at what distance you are shooting. if you are shooting 20 yards and missing the entire target then that is a problem.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

As some of the others have mentioned, probably the #1 mistake I see made is dropping the bow arm after releasing the arrow. Follow through is CRITICAL to making a good shot. Keep aiming at the spot you intend to hit until you hear the arrow hit the target. Your pin will be bounced around from the bow's recoil, but it should stay at least close to point of aim until the arrow hits home.

After the release: Don't look at the arrow in flight, don't think about it, it doesn't exist! Your total concentration has to be on that one, exact spot.

You have to develop the ability to focus. Frankly, as sensitive as many bows are about shooting form these days, it's a wonder ANY newcomer can hit what he's shooting at.

About hunting... Do you have a distance where you can hit what you shoot at, every time? If you can keep all your shots in a 6" circle at 10 yards, then go hunting. Just make sure and not shoot at animals that are further than 10 yards away. Knowing your limitations and hunting within them, regardless of the temptation to attempt a shot you know is outside your ability, that's the mark of a true, ethical bowhunter.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

buckisland
Welcome to the sport. From the info you have given, Im not sure were to start. If you are not using a release, Id suggest getting one. Releases will help with a smooth string release. Do not grip the bow, but craddle it in the U created by your index finger and thumb. Keep your bow hand open while shooting. Hold your arm out in front of you with the elbow pointing out horizontal to the ground, do this by simply turning your shoulder inward (if you are not already doing this it will feel real funny at first). Use a arm strap or finger strap to catch your bow after the release,. When you release the bow it should fall from your hand, dont try to catch it, thats what the arm/finger strap is for. Dont lower your arm until you see the arrow hit the target. Make sure your anchor point is the same everytime. Biggest key to good shooting is practice and consistancy. Do every thing the same every time

As others have mentioned, make sure your bow is tuned good. You might check with a pro shop to find out if it is in tune, or go to easton.com and download their free tuneing manual, it is a very good one. I have it and still pull it out from time to time.

This is very good advice from Arthur
About hunting... Do you have a distance where you can hit what you shoot at, every time? If you can keep all your shots in a 6" circle at 10 yards, then go hunting. Just make sure and not shoot at animals that are further than 10 yards away. Knowing your limitations and hunting within them, regardless of the temptation to attempt a shot you know is outside your ability, that's the mark of a true, ethical bowhunter.
Good luck
Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

All advise given so far is pretty good. You didn't mention where you bought your bow or who set it up. Did you buy it at an archery proshop? Did you let the pro see you shoot it? If you answer "yes" to both of those questions, then re-read the above posts. If your answer is "no" to either of those questions my best advice would be to go to an archery shop and 1. make sure everything on your bow (and your arrows!) is set up correctly 2. Have them watch you shoot to see if any additional adjustments can be made.

You should be able to get into good shooting form by the time season arrives, if you aren't...don't go hunting. We all owe it to our quarry to be the best that we can. Keep practicing and maybe only a week or two into the season you will be able to hit your mark and still have plenty of time to hunt.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:12 AM

Well, it sounds to me like you have an anchor consistancy problem. Here's a little tip to help develope the perfect anchor consistancy:

Finding Anchor Everytime:

When I started a bow, many years ago, LOL, I had trouble finding the same spot on my jaw to anchor. To over come this, and be able to hit the exact spot every time, I put one of the small, round, bandaids on my jaw where the best anchor occured, for me. This made it a smiple operation to hit the same spot ever time. When you get it drilled into your head where this spot is, do away with the bandaid. I have found that if my form starts to go south, I can put the bandaid back on, and get every thing back together. I hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown

Quick Reply: tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.