Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 235 fps, respectable speed from Justice? >

235 fps, respectable speed from Justice?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

235 fps, respectable speed from Justice?

Old 08-26-2004, 06:25 PM

Default 235 fps, respectable speed from Justice?

I picked up my Justice tonight and shot a video hunt with it. 70lbs, 28: draw, hush kit, peep/tube, kisser button and tru-nock; arrows are gold tip 5575 (26") with 100 grain heads.

i averaged 239 fps over the 40 shots. I am quite happy with the bow, just wondering if the speed is around what i should expect.

one thing i noticed - the peep tube flew off at full draw and i fnished the shot, arrow speed jumped to 240 fps. The peep seems fairly aligned without the tube so i may try without it for a bit
Old 08-26-2004, 07:03 PM

Default RE: 235 fps, respectable speed from Justice?

seems slow to me, but I don't know how heavy your arrow is, nor have I done the math for your add ons. What is a "tru-nock"? is that the true fire nock that attaches to the string, sort of like the ultra nock. A plastic or metal nocking loop? If so you could for sure pick up some speed without it. I have also heard the techno hunts are not real acurate for determining speed. They tend to vary quite a bit from shop to shop and what not. That was a few years ago though, maybe they are better. Chrono's can vary from shop to shop as well, but not as bad from what I understand. I would put it thru a true chronograph to make sure if you were really worried about.

You could gain a fair amount of speed be getting rid of some things on your string. Like the peep tubing, the tru nock, and the kisser button. Some of them are reduntant. With the tru nock you shouldn't need the peep tubing, and with a peep you shouldn't really need a kisser button. And without the peep tubing you could go to a lighter style peep. And you could replace the tru nock with a string loop.

Paul
Old 08-26-2004, 07:24 PM

After doing some math that might be pretty close to what you should be getting, especially with everything you have on the string. I get 364 grns for those arrows, with 4 inch vanes, is that about right? I figure some where between 240 and 250 fps.

Those arrows may be a bit on the weak side as well, maybe not with that cam and all that extra weight on the string.

Paul
Old 08-26-2004, 07:28 PM

the peep tube and kisser are good possibilities to go away.

i had the kisser on the old bow then took it off, decided to try it again on the new one. half way through the techno hunt it started moving around on me so i shot most of it without it and did better so it is probably gone.

yes the tru nock is similar to the ultra nock, metal nock loop. i really like it so i probably wont go back to string. with my old bow i had to use the peep tube with the tru nock to get the peep aligned. i dont think i am going to need to do that with the bowtech.

thanks for the input Paul.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:57 PM

A string loop will do the same thing though, it's just lighter is all. I know how you feel, I used the ultra nock for a while and really liked it. I used a string loop as well for a while. I finally decided not to use either one on my bowtech because I didn't want to waste the draw length, mines short enough as it is (26 inches). These and the string loop also aid in aligning the peep site. That is why I suggested getting rid of your peep tubing. Heck, you could get a NO PEEP and do away with peep sight all together.

And with my bowtech the string has not stretched any since day one and there is almost no peep rotation when I draw the bow back. Well there wasn't any way, I took the peep sight out of it.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Joe........I mean "Krotalus"
My god man why not just tie an anchor on that string![:-]
I would be willing to bet that you are losing about 20fps with all that stuff on the string. those heavy Tubes peep can be as much as 8-12fps alone. Those Tru nocks are really bad too.

The BowTech string is balanced.........no need for a tube peep period. A nice Tru-Peep "Super Hunter" peep is all you need.
Lose the Tru Nock in favor of a string loop.......does the same exact thing is more forgiving to torque and is WAYYYyyyy lighter.
Like you said, the kisser???

I would bet by switching all that stuff you would be well into the 250's.

Do you know your exact arrow weight as well? I could figure but I don't know fletch style.

By the way........I shot in 3 different TEchno Hunt systems over the last few years, and not a single one was within 8fps of actual bow speed. All were slow and one was 14fps slow at that.
COnfirmed on a chronograph after shooting at all 3 places.
Don't trust what you saw on that screen.

IF you want to bring that thing down my way some time let me know, I'm probably less than a half hour away.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to remember with the Techno Hunt is speed is measured at 20 yds. My Dually registered 293 on one near me. Through a chrono, 311.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:49 AM

The speeds I'm getting with my 70/29 Justice are;
350 grain arrow= 287 fps
392 grain arrow= 271
430 grain arrow= 261
486 grain arrow= 247
Not real fast but very forgiving and accurate and more fun than a barrel of monkeys If I'm lucky enough to get the bears to cooperate,,, I might have a new bear skin rug in about a week due to the super shooting Justice
Old 08-27-2004, 04:10 AM

thanks for the input guys, i was pretty happy where it was shooting, but if i can easily gain more speed then i am all for it

Matt, i was looking for an anchor but i couldnt find one in a matching camo pattern

I will remove the tube and kisser before i shoot again. I will probably shoot the same techno hunt again just for reference to see how much of a difference it makes by removing those things.

I havent firgured exact arrow stats yet, i had to buy new ones last night for this bow so i havent had time to run them through the calculators to get exact weights and FOCs with different heads
Old 08-27-2004, 08:53 AM

Here's my very opiniated 2 cents

Lose the stock hush kit and go with whiskers trimmed to 1/2 dollar size.

Peepr AND a kisser?? Redundant IMO. Lose the kisser. Find an anchor and you won't miss it a bit....I didn't

Switch that metal thing to a loop that JUST gives you clearance for the release and nock.

Change to a peep with no tube that gets served just around th peep itself and not over/under and use 3 wraps of dental floss instead of serving material.

All those together will get you into the realm of efficiency and added performance for sure.

Good luck and congrats on the new toy!

Quick Reply: 235 fps, respectable speed from Justice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.