Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need more information about my Bow >

Need more information about my Bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need more information about my Bow

Old 08-23-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Need more information about my Bow

I was given a bow to use. It is a Hoyt Raider. The draw weight is from 55-70. It says that the draw length is 28, and the string length is 36 JY.

I am wondering what arrows/broadheads to get for this bow, but it seems like I need to know more information about the bow first. According to Hoyt's website the Raider was made in 1999 and 2000, and there are various limbs. How can I tell which model exactly I have?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need more information about my Bow

Hi Innova,

I'd email the serial # of the bow to Hoyt. I'm sure they can give you more specific information. As far as arrows/broadheads I would recommend taking the bow to a local shop. They may need to adjust the draw length and poundage so that the bow fits you. Once that's been done they will be able to get you setup with some arrows, broadheads, etc.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no Hoyt expert, but I'm pretty sure there were at least 2 different Raider models. The '99-2000 models were the better ones, with all synthetic harness and much better speed and performance. The one you have seems like it is the older one, which had steel teardrop cables and a short dacron string. Those bows were basically Hoyt's entry level bows at the time. They still shoot well though. A friend of mine has had that model Raider for many years, and has taken several deer with it. They are just not going to give the type of performance that the newer Raiders (and Reflex Bighorns) will give.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. I know that I should get the bow properly fitted, but the length does feel pretty natural when I pull it back. I've been rifle hunting for the last 18 years, and really want to give bow hunting a shot. This first year, I want to go the ultra cheap route, just to make sure that I will enjoy it. Then next year I will probably get my own bow from a local dealer.

So I probably will just pick up 6 arrows, a few broadheads and then start practicing with a bale of hay.